HybridZ

Solve a Family dispute-- Which SU rebuild kits are worth it?

Daeron

My old man found a rebuild kit for a good price on Ebay recently. In talking back and forth about it, my brother is saying that somewhere on Ztherapy's website they used to outline which rebuild kits were worthy, and which ones were crap. I vaguely recall seeing the page I am sure he is talking about, but we couldn't find it on Ztherapy.com.

My old man really just needs the dome gaskets for his carbs, so a $120-180 rebuild and re-bush kit from Ztherapy is a little over the top. (These SUs are a short term, pre-turbo induction for this car.) At the same time, he doesn't want to put crappy parts in, so we are at a quandary.

Anyone else remember a website saying "ONLY get OEM (or maybe this and that brand) but DONT GET THESE AND THOSE BRANDS carb rebuild kits, they're junk!!!" anywhere? There was one that my bro and I dboth dimly recall and had each attributed to Ztherapy, so it must have at least *seemed* authoritative.. Barring that, would anyone recommend AGAINST buying a "Keyster" brand (not lying) rebuild kit? Again, the carbs are NOT falling apart, they just need abit of refresh.

I don't remember where i got the kit for my SUs, but I think it had a few pieces for each carb. I think I just got it from Kragen, and pretty cheap. There's really not much to these carbs, so you are probably fine with whatever you find.

One tip.. while you have them off, do some very light sanding inside so the piston(?) moves freely up and down. Mine would stick just ever so slightly, causing the car to lag and then jump when I would accelerate from a stop. Made it quite hard to leave a stop light or stop sign without a nearby cop thinking i was trying to screw around.