HybridZ

My budget 240Z build

So I had some time to check the car last night. I removed my wheels and checked the springs. The ones installed on the rears are longer than the ones in the front so I don't understand why it sits higher on the front. While I had the wheels off and the car on the stands, I decided to check the under carriage and guess what I found? All my bushings are rotted. Project for next Sunday: New Polyurethane bushings. I am also changing my plans for the injectors. I currently have 450 cc injectors on the stock barbed fuel rail. I won't be using them since my friend gave me a set of low impedence 550cc top feed injectors. More power!!!!:mrgreen:

Oh it's no awesome builds compared to monkeyt88's, phlebmaster's or everyone else's (only if I had the budget and skills I will be up there with you guys!) for that matter but it's a learning process for me. This is the first time that I am building a car that has rust or this old but I enjoy it very much. Thank you for the praises guys. giorgio61 - I will post all my parts for sale once it's out of the car.

Have you started on the fuel cell install yet? Please post pictures when you get a chance, love to see how you will accomplish this.

That won't be done until I route my fuel lines. My agenda next weekend is to replace all my bushings, install my billet diff mount and R200. That's if I actually have time to work on the car next weekend. I will post pics as the project progresses.

is the turbo going to be braced, i would think after awhile the manifold may crack.

I haven't thought of that but it's a good idea. My engine builder actually had the same custom manifold for several years with no issues of cracking or such. I am installing an engine damper to limit engine movement on hard throttle.

So I've hit a little dip on my wallet since Christmas is getting nearer but I am still slowly obtaining the parts that I need. So far so good but it will still take several months to finish my first goal of dropping the engine in my car. I have replaced a few things on my list to meet my HP/TQ goal:

Engine: L28ET with J.E. Pistons, Titanium Valve Spring & Retainers, Eagle Forged Rods, Race Rod Bearings, Crane valves, Comp Cam, Comp Timing set, HKS 2mm Head Gasket, ARP Head Bolts, Euro Damper, Port and polished Head, Bosch Alternator, MSA Billet Alumimum Alternator Adjustment Arm, High Capacity Oil Pump, and all new Gaskets

Turbo System:

Garrett T3T4 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Top Mount Turbo Manifold, Tial BOV, Internal Wastegate, AVO intercooler 21x8x3 core, 2.5” inlet/outlet, and Custom Turbo 3 inch Downpipe with custom 3 inch piping all the way to the exhaust (Magnaflow Turbo exhaust?).

Intake:

Q45 90mm throttle body, HKS Mushroom Filter, and Port matched Intake Manifold

Engine Management: L28ET ECU, Greddy E-Manage Ultimate, LC1 wide band O2 sensor and controller (still need to purchase one), and GM 3 wire Map Sensor

Fuel: 13 gal. Fuel Cell, Walbro 255LPH External Fuel Pump (I really don't know which one is better...), 550cc Top Feed Low Impedence Injectors (might be swapping in some 720's once the engine is broken in and I have funds to purchase them), Custom O-Ring Fuel Rail, SARD Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Vortech Fuel Management Unit, G & J Stainless Steel -8 and -6 Fuel Lines and Fittings.

Ignition: Stock L28ET Distributor, NGK Platinum Spark Plugs and Wires, and MSD Coil.

Is there anything that I'm missing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I finally get around removing the motor with the help of my friend Nick (280Z Nick) who also built my L28ET. I don't remember being able to pull the motor out in less than 2 hours but it was sure quick. I will strip the interior and remove everything else in the car next weekend since she will be going for paint very soon.

th_ProjectZ035.jpg

th_ProjectZ036.jpg

th_ProjectZ037.jpg

th_ProjectZ039.jpg

th_ProjectZ087.jpg

th_ProjectZ088.jpg

th_ProjectZ089.jpg

th_ProjectZ090.jpg

• 10 months later...

For nearly a year, I dragged my feet on the project in order to stay under budget but there have been a lot of movement in the past 3 months. The car was finally fully stripped and rolled in to my friend's shop for paint. I am still currently working on laying down Truck Lining inside the car and engine bay. We hope to finish all the prep work (finish the lining, weld the fenders, etc) within a week we will be pulling overnighters all of next week. I am hopeful that we can stick to the time line to be able to complete the paint job within 3 weeks. I will post more updates as well as the project progresses. Here are some photos of the current work:

th_Babe006.jpg

th_Babe007.jpg

th_Babe009.jpg

th_Babe010.jpg

th_DSC09757.jpg

th_DSC09758.jpg

th_DSC09759.jpg

th_DSC09760.jpg

th_DSC09761.jpg

th_DSC09762.jpg

th_DSC09764.jpg

th_DSC09765.jpg