HybridZ

Oil catch cans, how to fab one

Was thinking of installing an oil catch can for the PVC system, so that the oil stuff doesn't get into my intake system.

I think I could make one if I was clear on how it should work. As far as I know you hook up a good sized vacuum hose to a container at the top probably, then put any PVC hoses at the bottom of the container? What do you do with the caught oil? How do you keep the oil in the can. I guess the oil is pretty particlized, so gravity isn't going to simply keep it from staying down at the bottom. Do you use a paper filter that you replace?

Well, as you see I'm pretty clueless. Fill me in on how to fab one up.

Thanks!

Tony,

If you're going to make it out of aluminum, then just weld in some baffles inside it. Make sure the catch can is in some cool airflow and the vapors will condense on the baffles and drip down to the bottom. I would have the inlet tube come in about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the can an point down slightly. That should cause enough of a vortex to have the 'fumes' contact a larger surface area of the baffles. Then have the outlet on the top and plumbed to the inlet manifold so that you still get the positive crankcase ventilation.

That should work well.

Tim

I would even suggest the use of a small filter element on the end of a hose in the bottom of the can. The the lid is sealed with a vacuum hose on the lid going to the vaccum port. The oil mist will be caught in the small filter element, accumulate, and then drip off the filter into the can.

I have when wanting to do the same thing to my 240 too. I have seen a really cool setup on a red Z at the motorsports carshow two years ago and I saw it again this year. Here is a link showing the setup on that car.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=741223&uid=519685

Does anyone know where he got this or if it is custom.

Hey Tony, I saw your site and was wondering about your 240Z with the Supra engine. How hard was that swap? How much HP do you have right now? What do you pull on the 1/4 mile? Do you have any images showing the finished product or are you still working on it. Cool cars though. 2thumbs.gif

Thanks,

Marcos

The swap was about as difficult as putting in a v8 engine with a transmission that fit without any mods to the tunnel. The engine cleared everything with no modifications. The engine is very low, and very far back. It is actually shorter than the L6 engine, and I have the valve cover about 2 inches from the fire wall.

Right now I don't have a drive line hooked up, but the engine runs. I need to finish the driver's side intercooler piping, and clean up my wiring harness a little. I'm using Wolf3D for engine management.

I'm expecting 320hp with the stock turbo (@ the crank). I've upgraded the fuel system, HKS FMIC, ignition system should be better than stock, so as soon as I can get that turbo upgraded I should be making close to 400hp at the crank with the modified stock turbo. This will be with stock internals and ARP head studs. If I want more power then I'd need to swap out my turbo for a completely new larger one. I guess 600hp with forged pistons is a commen horse power number. I'd be be happy with 400.

Looking for low 11's in the 1/4.

Hopefully I'll be finished before the end of this month.

topicpipe.jpg

If you look closely you'll see the engine is behind the front sway bar.

Can't wait to hear all about it once it's running! :D

I too would like to build a catch-can. There are some nice ones out there form the likes of Greddy aka Greedy but the cost is a joke! I thougth I saw some in Summit or Jegs that would work, has anyone looked closely there?

If only I could weld as well as that job that was done on that custom catch can! Everything on that car is too perfect. I saw it at the MSA get together, I had to drool all over it.

Looks like the carbon fiber/kevlar? intake boot was cracked at one point though, then fixed with an epoxy. That must have been frustrating, it was a perfect piece before then.

Whelp, I've pulled out the 401K money, so the 7m-gte should be done soon. I know, I'm bad.. twak.gif

JDM engines go for around $800. They are 30K mileage engines shipped from Japan, the tranny is another $250 I think.. Mine didn't come with a starter or alternator, but sometimes they come complete with all accessories.

The stock intercooler can be found for about $80-$120 on ebay.

I would highly suggest not going with the stock EFI system, because it takes a lot of money to get it past 290hp. If you're content with 290hp then you can probably find a used harness and ecu for around $120-$200. The cars are starting to show up in the junk yards, so if you were really lucky you could find a high mileage engine plus harness, accessories, tranny for under $500.

Then fab up the commen things that you'd have to do with most engine swaps, like drive line, engine/tranny mounts, wiring, exhaust. Add in the intercooler piping, hoses, and clamps.

I think this swap will become really popular. It's the cheapest turbo, inline 6, DOHC engine out there right now that has a very high potential. Lots of Z guys dig Z cars because of the inline 6, but then a lot of guys dig v8's.

If the L series engine was DOHC I would have stuck with it. I wish someone would make one, I'd buy 2.