HybridZ

Forming/bending sheet metal

Vette Powered

Like so many tasks, when you see an experienced person do it they make it look simple, but it isn't. You simply cannot form metal without the right tools and equipment, knowledge and experience, and expect a good looking item.

My advice is to make a cardboard and tape mock-up of what you want (and a drawing with measurements) and take it to a small fabrication shop and have them make it. Tell them what you are making and they may even help to change the shape for strenghtening e.g. suggest a roll or joggle, etc. They usually don't charge much and it will look great. It is VERY VERY important to make sure you have the EXACT MEASUREMENTS. Metal is very hard to reshape and the guys at the shop will be really peeved if you come back wanting alterations.

If you really want to get into this field there is a terrific DVD set by Peach and Tommasini here in Oz. Here is a sample of their regular show on TV.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4771868096671569058#docid=1764353741694655482

i also agree with Boy of Oz. but on the other hand, the only way you'll ever get good at somthing is by doing it. i learned to work metal by getting a bunch of scrap metal and making stuff. plus there is no real need to get expensive equipment. my secret is wood. i get a block of wood and cut it and carve it into a shape that is close to what im making. than i fasen the sheet metal to it and pound the metal down around the wood to shape it. than once its close ill use the smaller hammers and anvils to fine tune the shape.

basically what im sayin is give it a try. you never know.

i also agree with Boy of Oz. but on the other hand, the only way you'll ever get good at somthing is by doing it. i learned to work metal by getting a bunch of scrap metal and making stuff. plus there is no real need to get expensive equipment. my secret is wood. i get a block of wood and cut it and carve it into a shape that is close to what im making. than i fasen the sheet metal to it and pound the metal down around the wood to shape it. than once its close ill use the smaller hammers and anvils to fine tune the shape.

basically what im sayin is give it a try. you never know.

I'm for sure going to give it a shot. I think I'll do the cardboard route and play a little. If I do t like what I end up making I'll pay someone. Wood!! Got to go buy wood!!

... than i fasen the sheet metal to it and pound the metal down around the wood to shape it... basically what im sayin is give it a try. you never know.

I support your sentiments about giving it a go but your approach to shaping suggest a lack of understanding on metal forming principles and appears fundamentally flawed.

If you watch the video you will see that you never stretch metal by hitting it over a buck - that is counter productive - you need to shrink it on the concave surface. Hit a bit of scrap with a hammer and you will see it curves towards you. That's not to say you cannot 'lever' larger flat sections of metal by pulling it over a buck.

Here is what proper technique can produce.

Kiwi P4_thumb.jpg

Yeah to make an airdam in reasonable time would need something like an english wheel or perhaps even one of the phuematic hammers. Im sure you can do it the way with wood and hammers but it might take a while.

What are you thinking about conceptually.

Really all I'm doing is trying to seal the air spaces and get good air flow into the radiator. It would be nice if it looked pretty.

I support your sentiments about giving it a go but your approach to shaping suggest a lack of understanding on metal forming principles and appears fundamentally flawed.

If you watch the video you will see that you never stretch metal by hitting it over a buck - that is counter productive - you need to shrink it on the concave surface. Hit a bit of scrap with a hammer and you will see it curves towards you. That's not to say you cannot 'level' larger flat sections of metal by pulling it over a buck.

you are correct. and i would never recomend building a whole car my way, that would be dumb. im just saying its a good, easy and cheap way to do smaller items. ive done a number of air scoops, vents, and other custom items that way. its takes time, but it is very doable.

but ofcourse if you got the money...and i dont. i would definatly get the proper equipment or have a profesional do it.