HybridZ

Dick Goodman's GTO

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am in the process of building Dick Goodman's GTO.

Does anyone know why the close to $1,000 price difference for the kits between the companies? Any recommendations?

Also -- where can I find Ferrarri exterior decals/emblems.

Thanks!

Scott Scriver

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Scott -

I'm planing on building the Velo Rossa, but I spent some time agonizing over whether I should go coupe and have a more original 250 GTO replica or go with the Spider. I finally decided to go the Spider route.

I've talked to and visited John Washinton's shop (Reaction Research) in Tempe and was impressed with him and the quality of his work. His Velo Rossa kit can be adapted to a more true to original coupe design. In his marketing materials and installation manuals, he mentions that he has worked with customers who wanted his tilt front-end and the Stable Auto Works rear and that he and the Stable guys have no problem working together. I've called and talked to the folks at Stable as well, and they were patient with my questions and willing to talk to me.

I had a more difficult time reaching the folks at Thunder Ranch. When I did get in touch, they were not nearly as willing to talk about their product and basically told me that if I want any info on their kit, I should purchase the install manual. I know they've been around a long time and Tom McBurnie has a pretty good rep, but I want to know they are going to support me after I buy the product. I did intend to buy their install manual (as I did from the others), but I decided not to after that phone call.

Anyway, Thunder Ranch may save you $800 bucks, but I would be a little leary about how well they will support their product after the sale. Maybe I caught 'em on a bad day.

For Ferrari emblems and such, check here. There are always posts on this site for Ferrari parts.

Have fun!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response.

I, too, have visited with John. In fact, I was just there a few weeks ago. I would rather go with him, but the $800.00 difference is making me look at thunder. However, if Thunder is not willing to work with their customers, then I am willing to pay the extra $800 to ensure customer satisfaction.

Are you in the Phoenix area? If so, maybe we can learn off of each other while we build these. Mine will be a coupe and VR does have a coupe version.

I just bought 2 1974 260Z's last week, all rust free, for this project.

Guest nezzie76

I bought the front end from Thunder Ranch and the rear from John Washington. I indeed saved about 500-700 ( I can't remember now) with going with McBurnie. In retrospect, I would have gone with washington for the whole thing. McBurnie's stuff doesn't seem to fit right, the whole affair took about 1.5 months longer than it took with Washington. I paid for the parts at the same time, McBurnie had me panicing that I wouldn't get my stuff it took so long. Crating was also sub par and I was VERY lucky that the truckers thought that the car was some fancy Jaguar because they took it easy on it. If you don't mind serious aggravation and no customer service, go with McBurnie because it is indeed cheaper.

Guest Anonymous

Looks like it is worth the extra money to go with John.

The "gap" picture you have posted...was this due to Thunder's piece or Johns?

Guest nezzie76

The gap is from the thunder ranch end not sitting correctly. I've jury-rigged it somewhat closer now, but I will still need to use some sort of putty to get it to look close. http://www.kitcaraccessories.com/ also sells the ferrari emblems you need but the prices are high in my book ( but then we are talking about ferraris here...).

Guest Anonymous

FOR NEZZIE 76 ..... You will have to come out and look at my coilover and bumpsteer modifictions modifictions for the Tomahawk Z. I need front struts and paint to complete the front end. I got another 2004R transmission too. Do you know any thing about posting pictures???

Wow so you are building my car - cool!

Don't forget to check with Jeff over at Stable Autoworks http://www.zcarkits.com/ You might be able to get a deal. BTW, tell him I sent you and he will throw in the GTO dash for free.

You can keep an eye on eBay for emblems because they show up quite often. Just know what the normal price is. Believe me, with Ferrari you really do pay for the name! If the small Ferrari badge that goes on the nose said "Sunbird" it would probably cost $10 bucks but Ferrari list is $140!!!

Here's another place to try http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/

Jim Simpson http://www.simpsondesign.net/ can find used ones in good shape as well. He is another great guy and used to sell the GTO kit before Stable Autoworks as "Rhino."

Here is where you can get emblems and badges as well as the engine compartment labels http://www.italiancarparts.com/

Also, let me know if you need any help. You are going to love that ride - it's a real blast. tongue.gif

Guys,

One day I will build a 250 GTO - I take my hat off to you all. I have done a little research on the kits that are out there and I came across a guy who builds quite a few different rebody kits for the first Z. I have not personally seen his product but he is in the 1996 winter edition of the now defunk Z CAR Magazine (one of the few editions I actually received way back then). His name is Charles Punkett and the business is Punkett Automotive Design & Development, 9968 Cleary Street, Santee, CA 92071 (619) 258-2052. I did call him up about 2 months ago and he sent me his promotional package on all the rebodies he does. P-250-GTO Spyder 90.5" wheel base, also in a 94.5" wheel base, Ford Cobra Daytona Spyder 90.5" wheel base, Ferrari Daytoa Spyder 90.5" WB and the ford FIA Cobra 90.5" WB. He also has coupes in all the above models. Price for the 250 is $3100. He loved to talk about the Z car and his work and was quite knowledgeable. If someone in southern CA could check him out and report back that would be great.

He claims his 250 rebody is very authentic looking (especially the longer WB one) and easy to build. Looking at the magazine pictures and the information he sent me I would have to agree.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Again, thank you everyone for the responses. This information alone is worth the extra $800.00.

I will check out Stable as well since John also recommends them for the coupe version.

This is my dream car ever since I first saw the Vella Rossa back in 1988. John and I first hooked up then and it is finally becoming a reality!

I am a web developer, so I will put together a site that will show the progress. Maybe even a web cam to show the work live as it happens smile.gif . I won't be starting on it until June 1, 2002 as I need to close on a house that I bought before I put money into my new Hobby. However, I need to get on this quick before my wife changes her mind smile.gif .

Guest Anonymous

REPEAT QUESTION Does any one know about Puckett Auto and their 250 GTO as mentioned previously.. If there is an alert out in the kit car business on Thunder Ranch, there are a lot of complaints. Some unfinished kits with Zee's come up from time to time and usuallly cheaper than the Kits on ebay and kit car forums. I have an old Stable Works 250 coupe kit and it's fiberglass is thinner than Nate's Thunder Ranch front end or Washington's rear end on his Vello Rossa Spyder. The Vello Rossa has more rough mold marks on the bodies than Stable Works' bodies.The shipping costs will kill you and it maybe cheaper to get the kit direct and haul it home yourself

Scott -

Like Nezzie, I live in Oregon. I haven't ordered my parts from John yet, since I don't have a proper place to store them.

My project suffers from the "Might as well..." syndrome. You know: "As long as I'm rebuilding the motor, I might as well put in a V8 and a 6 speed. Of course, I'll need to upgrade my suspension to coil-overs. And if I'm gonna have my suspension off, I might as well upgrade the brakes to vented rotors. Ooooh, and I'll need to have 5 lug hubs..." :rolleyes:

I should have had this thing done by now. This car is the poster child for project scope creep. bonk.gif

I've built a website to document my progress, but there isn't much to share yet. Keep us posted on your progress!

Guest nezzie76

Maybe I should have read that consumer alert before I bought from thunder ranch. bonk.gif Oh well at least I got the product undamaged and all the parts were there. I was lucky I suppose.

Guest Anonymous

Talked to John at VR today. He said thanks to all of you for the kind words.

I will be putting my order in soon.

Thanks again for all your help. Now if I can just get the guts to put a V8 into it smile.gif .

Chris - I'm not sure what you mean by vertial mounted tailights. Do you mean like this http://www.cars-on-line.com/62ferrari2191.html

BTW, I have real Ferrari lights and reflectors on my car and this car appears to have them as well. The little old guy in Italy that made those lights for all these years has passed away. Unfortunately there wasn't anybody in the family to take over so the price already high and going up very fast. sour.gif

Although my car is an Alpha 1 GTO, and may be different, the rear clip did not have the holes in it for the lights when I got it. Therefore you have some leeway on what lights you can use. So you may want to look around and find a different set of lights.

Guest Anonymous

I have the Stable Works rear light package which is a flat surface mount plastic lense on rubber seal lights that can be found in any auto parts and finer hardware stores.I lost them very easily. I saw some old Opel GT round tailights on A Vello Rossa but cannot remember the last time I saw Opel GT. lights for sale. For my 250 coupe I am considered some round recessed LED water proof lights for a jeep that I saw on EBay. They looked to be about 4 inches in diameter with chrome trim. Check out some truck supply houses for these lights with all the dots to slow down about any tail gater. I particularly do not like the Ferrari style el cheapo mini bullet tailights.I think 3 in a row with an amber orange one in the middle and just maybe a couple genuine blue dots in the center of a couple red ones on each side to signify a hot rod up under the hood.Do not laugh (or for a laugh) but seriosly check out ebay Item # 1812580723 for these led tailights for Jeeps and then check out the sellers other items among the goat cheese butter face cream, raspberry slicers and other assorted herbal remedies to the 4 inch horse trailer LED lights which are reasonably priced. He also has some elongated beehive lenses that are really nice. I am having trouble writing this because of laughter in the sales subject matter and no one believing that I am serious. Looks like some old Eugene, Oregon hippie went to being a herbal Jesus Freak and is supplementing his income by selling LED lights in addition to herbs or just turning on with 12 volt LED "strobes" in the new millinium. LED Horse trailer lights look just like what I want to put on my fake rollex Ferarri.I am serious, fellows!!! The seller is out of Eugene and I am close to all that nonesense, ya just have to live here to believe it all! Right //Nate?

Guest Skillet

I am planning on getting the Velo Rossa kit from VR. Does anyone have any links to pictures of vertical mounted tail lights? I like the rear end of the Stable kit but I am wanting to build a convertible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Larson

Guest Skillet

Speed Racer,

You are exactly right. I am looking to make the rear end look like the original Ferrari. The larger lights mounted horizontally give it the updated Ferrari look and I think the average car nut would quickly tell this is not a Ferrari. Of course the true Ferrari guy would quickly tell.

The problem that I am seeing (which is only from web pics and my VR installation manual) is that the flat panel area on the VR rear end is a bit more narrow (vertically) than the other kits (Alpha, Stable, etc). If it is more narrow, It might be a squeeze getting the lights to fit.

Can anyone verify this or is it just an optical illusion? Would it be possible for someone with each car measure this distance to verify this?

Also, I found these Lucas lights http://www.cobraaccessories.com/f-catpg11D.htm

(scroll down to the L-488 or L539). Are these a close match to the original Ferrari lights?

Thanks again for your help.

BTW, I called VR last week and it appears that VR is under new management. John Washington will be availiable for tech questions but a guy named Harly is kinda running the show. He seems like a real nice guy. He is building a new website in the next couple of weeks at www.kitcarz.com and he is wanting to put in a message board so all of us GTOer's can talk there.

Also, does anyone happen to have one of these cars in Oklahoma or surrounding states? I sure would like to see one up close.

Chris Larson

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info, SpeedRacer.

I, too, am looking for the vertical light display.

Gutted out the interior this weekend. This car was filthy...but thankfully, no rust!! Found out one of the 2 cars I bought has only 22,000 original miles on it. The original owner bought it in 75 and parked it in 77. Other than weather related wear and tear, this car is almost brand new. Best of all, I picked up both 74 260Z's for only $1,000.

Pictures of the construction coming soon.