HybridZ

Z engine swaps and SCCA solo classing

Autocross season's over for me but I'm already thinking about next year. Based on what I've read in the SCCA rules my car will be placed in FP class, mostly due to the gutted interior.

I've been wanting to do some motor work, swapping to an L28 and/or building up something with a little more compression. However, I dont want to bump myself into SM2 or Mod classes. I've been trying to make sense of the rules to see what all can be done within my class rules.

If I understand the rulebook correctly, FP is limited to using the stock block and head, but any piston, cam, crank, etc. Swapping to a L28 will drop me into SM2 or Modified and anything else (LS1, SBC) will be XP or Modified. However, an autocrosser at work told me I can transplant the L28 into my 260z and still stay in FP because I'm basically running a backdated engine.

Any chance someone more experienced can clear this up for me? Anyone else running FP class Zs that want to share what they did within this class?

The 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z are all listed on the same line in the rule book. That means that the engines are swappable between them. Basically the only thing you lose is you have to add a little extra to the minimum weight for the larger engine. Any other engine (SBC, LS, L28ET) would put you in XP provided you don't have to modify the firewall to clear the engine.

I am putting an L28 in my 240 this winter and the only reason I'm moving to XP is because I'd have to add about 200lbs to my car to make minimum weight, and I don't want to do that. I'm not trying to win my class, I just want fast raw times.

There is only one class winning idea for FP: You have to drive better then the Solo2 God, John Thomas. He's won more Solo2 national championships then any other Solo2 competitor. He currently runs a 240Z in FP and just won yet another National Solo2 jacket. Anything else you do is meaningless until you can out drive John.

Pretty simple and there's only one person I know who has a chance - driving a BetaMotorsports prepared FP E36 BMW:

After being in the SCCA since I was 13 running Shifter karts, I have found myself to enjoy it alot more to build a Car how I enjoy it and not to the rule book, and fully built LS1 Z cars on large courses usually get the same or very minimal times as my Stock motor/body/suspension 280z with Hoosier a6's and bassett racing wheels, just a thought on the side, its not how well you build a car, its how well you drive it. Case in point, sr.stig from top gear.

Excellent, so a L28 wont bump me into the next class. Seems like there are a lot more bits and pieces to build a nice N/A L28 than a L26 so this is good news. I'm going to have to start thinking about what I can do.

I realize that the biggest improvement I can do is work on my driving, I just started autocrossing over this last summer. I've definitely learned a lot of about driving and car control and there is still a lot to learn.

I actually like the idea of building a car to a particular ruleset. To me, it actually seems a little bit more interesting and a greater challenge to be able to make something to the limit of a given set of parameters rather than having a blank slate you can do anything with. I like more direction... to each his own I guess :)

Excellent, so a L28 wont bump me into the next class. Seems like there are a lot more bits and pieces to build a nice N/A L28 than a L26 so this is good news. I'm going to have to start thinking about what I can do.

I realize that the biggest improvement I can do is work on my driving, I just started autocrossing over this last summer. I've definitely learned a lot of about driving and car control and there is still a lot to learn.

I actually like the idea of building a car to a particular ruleset. To me, it actually seems a little bit more interesting and a greater challenge to be able to make something to the limit of a given set of parameters rather than having a blank slate you can do anything with. I like more direction... to each his own I guess :)

its just because im a rebel lol.

ya, drivng plays a BIG part in auto-x and any proffesional driving, I cant wait to go to the Skip Barber racing school to get my IMSA this winter, then its Targe Newfoundland Road Rally time, vrrooom vrroom.