HybridZ

Turbo 280ZX boot replacement issues

wigenOut-S30

Hey Guys, Im in the middle of replacing my 280ZX CV boots. when taking them apart Im using the above sticky. Although mine are different. The above directions note that there is a C clip to remove and then the Tripod comes off. Well with the axles I have. There is NO C clip and it looks like they are pressed on. Please see pics. Im trying to get my Z back together so I can DRIVE the thing lol.. Please help.. Also one other question. and I searched for it. What Ft lbs do you TQ the CV companion flanges to? Please see pics of my CV axles to see what Im working with.

DSCF0869.JPG

CIMG0068.jpg

I just did this myself. I used the sticky as a guide too. This is the write-up I put on my website.

After very carefully cutting off the inner CV boot with my angle grinder with a cutting wheel I discovered the first issue. There is no c-clip on the axle end, the bearing tripod is just pressed on. I was able to get them off using a gear puller with no problems. I cleaned everything up, what a mess that grease is. I positioned the boots and clamps ready to install and called my buddy Chris, knowing he owns a press. After we pressed them on we smacked them in several places with a blunt chisel the make sure they wouldn't come off. If you look close that's what Datsun did. Rebuilding the new halfshafts wasn't the easiest thing I have ever done. The tough part was the way Datsun built the inner boot to bearing race connection. Basically you have to bend the metal part of the boot over to hold the bearing race, a total PITA. I managed to do it, its not pretty but its done. I added some RTV to alleviate the possibility of a leak at that point. I could not get a torque wrench in there to torque the companion flange bolts, just no room. I used a box end wrench and tightened them the best I could and then beat on the wrench with a hammer to make sure they were tight, use blue lock-tite. Not the prescribed method but sometimes ya just gotta do what you can!