HybridZ

Gear Shift Lever issues with 71' 5-speed swap

NCZZZ

I have a 71' 240Z. I have already put in a 5-speed from an 83ZX. Unlike the swaps I have done on 72+ 240's, there seems to be a problem with the fitment of the gear shift lever and clearance of in the console.

I know about having to cut 1-2" in the opening. What can you do about the issue above with the lever clearing the console? I don't want to heat up my lever and try bending without some rough idea of the shape.

I have not seen one, but I am told that MSA used to sell a special shifter just for this issue. Of course, they no longer sell it. If anyone has one not being used, I would be interested. If anyone has one and can send a pic and/or some measurements, that would be just as good.

What are S1 and S2 transmissions? I have never heard them referred to in that way. The tranny I have is from an 83 ZX NA. I have no idea which one it would be as there was no shift lever included. I know I have seen posts about this issue, but I am apparently not typing in the right phrase.

Anyone have something tagged?

S1 transmissions being the type A transmission that only came in the series 1 cars, and the S2 being the type B that came in all s30's after that.

F4W71A "A" type 4 speed.... Build date 69-8/71.

F4W71B "B" type 4 speed.... Build date 9/71-76.

FS5W71B "B" type 5 speed....77-78 280Z and 79 280ZX.

Do you have the original shifter from the 5 speed?

I just swapped a 5 speed into my '71 and the 5 speed shifter just barely clears when in 1st gear; I didn't have to trim my shifter opening at all. However, there is only about 2mm's worth of clearance.

I have a 71' 240Z. I have already put in a 5-speed from an 83ZX. Unlike the swaps I have done on 72+ 240's, there seems to be a problem with the fitment of the gear shift lever and clearance of in the console.

I know about having to cut 1-2" in the opening. What can you do about the issue above with the lever clearing the console? I don't want to heat up my lever and try bending without some rough idea of the shape.

I have not seen one, but I am told that MSA used to sell a special shifter just for this issue. Of course, they no longer sell it. If anyone has one not being used, I would be interested. If anyone has one and can send a pic and/or some measurements, that would be just as good.

For the center console, you could just get a '72 center console. I don't think it'll quite just bolt right in, but it should fit.

For the center console, you could just get a '72 center console. I don't think it'll quite just bolt right in, but it should fit.

Yep. That's what I did. The 72 does fit, but it requires a different hole drilled in the back. The 280ZX 5 speed (non-t5) looks like it comes out pretty much where it's supposed to.