HybridZ

How do you allow your V8 to breathe??

I was trying to search the forum for an answer but could not really find a definite one, so...

How do you let your V8 breathe!? Right now its summer and my V8 Z doesn't seem to appreciate it much. Normal daily driving and waiting in traffic makes the temp raise a considerable amount.

I'm guessing that a very limited amount of air is reaching the air cleaner and I just want to see how you guys deal with it. Pictures would be nice, too! :)

Hot air to the carb will create less power and possibly leaner mixture, but typically not so much for overheating. You definitely need a more efficient cooling system (ie. radiator & fan setup) to keep things cool. With an adequate radiator and air going through it, even the cars with an A/C condensor up front don't have overheating issues. Of course, a lean mixture an too much ignition advance will also cause the car to run hot.

• 4 months later...

I am in the process of designing an air inake system for my Z8. Go to www.specterperfomance.com and take a look at what they have to offer. Everyting you will need to get cold air to your engine. I will post pics when I finish mine. Not to mention, this sytem makes your engine compartment look mean. I dont recomend buying from them directly, I found much cheaper prices elsewhere.

I also used Spectre products for my cold air intake: low profile intake plenum, 4" ducting, and the largest cone filter they make. I could've also used their $20 aluminum elbow, but used a $4 PVC elbow from Lowes instead because I'm such a tight-wad. :mrgreen:

Good luck with yours!

20842_thumb.attach

20843_thumb.attach

Edited by jhm
correctness

I will try to post pictures. This is a 1968 Corvette. The scoop on the hood is from a '67 Stingray, and I grafted it on. It is both ram air and cowl induction. There is a wall which redirects the ram air flow down over the top of the engine and bathes the carburetor in cool air. When the car is idling in traffic, it also provides a heat escape from the top of the engine bay. The cowl induction portion is what's used for intake air into the engine. There is a custom air box that fits over the air cleaner when you close the hood. I fabricated that out of fiberglass. Then I use a K&N top-breather lid on the 14"x3" K&N round filter to help get as much air as possible.

It's a little hard to see the details in this picture because the air box is painted black. But hopefully it turns out.

MMS_Resized_Pix-1.jpg

MegalodonMotor.jpg

That's a really NICE one. I like that! Very smooth and the NACA duct will work great, as long as the boundary layer isn't too much; and I don't think it will be because the scoop is raised up a few inches above the rest of the hood. Nice and very clean design that will work very well with the Z's bodywork.