HybridZ

debating weights

vega

I apologize for some reason I am not allowed to post a new thread in the general tech section and even to post in this section I had to reread the rules? I don’t know- I don’t post here much so... meh

Anyhow- I am debating something with my setup.

1. Has anyone stripped an 87 up z31 turbo 5speed? If so what was the weight? I am trying to find out how much I can get a z31 stripped down to within reason.

2. Why is it that people are swapping out the rear sub frame for an s14 sub frame? Aren’t the q45 diffs stronger? And also have an r200v? Plus stronger axles.... I don’t get it. Is it the suspension? Is it sooo limited on the z31?

--------

Right now I have a 1990 s13 coupe 5 speed base model. I finished the ka24de swap. I'm board. I want to know if I should continue with the s13 or sell it and get a z31 more or less.

The type of racing I do is m2 class racing in rally cross. The car needs to be "streetable" so none of the Hoosier I have one line a tread tires. I get a deal on the re11 tires so that’s what I’m going to use (a set for 200 not 600!) I was planning on ripping out the ka24de for a sbc 383 stroked vortec motor carbed. Using the q45diff and axles a highly modded we t5 trans and a bunch of other things. Now I’m curious if the z can get as low a weight as the s13 with the v8. If so- then I may just go z31 instead.

-------------- S13 project info---------

I’m about 140 pounds

The car stock is 2606 pounds (wet weight)

The ka24de is 371 pounds (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/299879)

The ka24de trans is 169 pounds (can’t find the link hmm... she sure is heavy though)

-----------

The sbc with alum intake/heads is about 525 pounds

The WC t5 trans weighs about 90 pounds (aluminum case :P)

So...

The sbc+trans = 615 lbs

The ka+trans = about 540 lbs

A difference of only 75 pounds oooo- big deal and the trans is pretty much in the center of the car. now I have read allot on what people have done to lighten up their s13 the lightest vie seen was 2179 lbs. cant find the link for that guy but he had an excel sheet for it I have it on my desk top.

So add about 100-200 lbs for a cage that’s 2379 lbs

Add 75 pounds for the v8 swap that’s 2454 lbs

And lastly me (140 lbs) that 2594 lbs

So let’s just say 2600 lbs to be safe. So now we are pretty much back to stock weight but with a HUGE hunk of v8 in the front. I haven’t really added the weight of the axles and new diff though... so this is a guestimate.

--------------

So can I get the z31 down to 2600 pounds or there about?

found it...

http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=55042

here is his reasons why:

"So you ask why change the rear subframe? Well - if you do what I did or similar but with a z32 or skyline subframe (all of these are similar designs with similar geometry and interchangeable parts) these are the benefits:

Better rear brakes – similar rotor size, but dual piston aluminum calipers and drum ebrake although I don’t know exactly why that it’s better

VLSD – yes I know that vlsd is not that great, but it’s better than open and is upgradable with numerous bolt in aftermarket diffs.

Better geometry – way more anti-squat which is good for road racing and handling. While not the best for drag racing, I’ve found that with my laggy turbo, I get better launches due to less bogging.

Upgradability – almost every arm in this setup has an adjustable aftermarket replacement, not to mention endless coilover and big brake options.

Solid bushings – This is not neccesary, but if you do this, you can think of the whole subframe as a meaty re-inforcement to the ass end of your car since it is now bolted solidly to your unibody. This made my car feel like a totally different car. Easily the best handling mod I’ve done."

thats kind of week btw that the 300zx cant get under th 3k mark- thats about what a 3rd gen camaro sits at....