HybridZ

280z speedo cable vs. 280zx speedo cable

Jason81NA,82RBtt

I read threads that say people can hook up a 280z speedometer cable to autometer speedometer. I'm installing a speedometer in my 280zx and I've noticed that the end on the factory speedometer cable is much different than the 280z cable. What I was wondering is if someone knows if a 280z speedo cable is long enough to fit a 280zx? I would hate to buy one and it be to short or want to kink.

I believe the 280Z cable has quite a bit of slack in the line so I'm pretty sure it would work. I am going to be replacing the one in my car at the end of this week and can get you an exact measurement of the cable for you to compare it to at that time if nobody gets back to you before that.

I'm installing a speedometer in my 280zx and I've noticed that the end on the factory speedometer cable is much different than the 280z cable.

Really? I'm using the speedo cable from my '81 zxt donor on my 260... The 260's original cable was seized up. As I recall, they were the same length (or so close it didn't matter as the 280zxt cable runs the exact path the 260 cable did...).