HybridZ

Headlights stuck on....

PanzerAce

So my headlights can't be turned off right now on my '73, though they'll go off if I unplug the connector (red/yellow, red/white, red/black, if I recall) going from the control stock under the dash. My running/interior/rear lights all work as normal though. I'm still trying to track down if this is an electrical issue, of if the switch in the stalk itself is broken. Anyone have any ideas/experience with this kind of problem?

Yup, AFAIK it's the same as the 280. Found the problem already though, turns out that the soldering material holding the yellow/red (or is it white/red, hard to tell with age) wire onto the switch had melted enough that it had flowed onto the red always hot wire. I just need to find a soldering gun, melt it, scrape them apart, then re-solder the yellow/red wire in place.

It may be a good time to introduce a couple of relays under the hood to take the stress of the high current off of the column switch. Take a look at this nice PDF, as found in the electrical section from here:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

I'll probably do that eventually, but for right now this car gets the quick/easy fix of re-soldering stuff. When I get my LD28T project up and running, the current DD Z is going to get a metric crap ton of work done to it, including redoing all the wiring while dropping an...interesting...engine into it.

edit: Quick and easy isn't because I like the option, infact if I had my way I'd tear out the current lights, get some nice HID projectors mounted, and run with those relayed. But considering I need my Z to be night driving capable every....single....night, means that upgrades have to wait.