HybridZ

Obnoxious Fan

I just spent the afternoon tweeking the spring on the front of 2 of my spare fan clutches and found you can really dial it in such that the fan freewheels at your stable operating temperature and starts grabbing anywhere above it.

They aren't really optimized from the factory and the bi-metallic spring is pretty brittle but it doesn't take much bending of the spring to have a pretty large effect as to what temperature it comes in.

I moved the first one about 15 degrees on a way too tight fan clutch and didn't kick in until the temp gauge was way too high so I tried to bend it back a bit and it snapped.

I bent another one about 5 degrees on a way too tight clutch and it's perfect in that you can hear it come in while sitting at the drive-thru at idle but fades after a block or two of 45mph driving and makes no noise at all on the highway.

Before, it was so tight that the car sounded like a huge leaf blower and the plastic blade tips actually bent forward from the bite and touched the radiator slightly because of the excessive fan speed going fast on the highway.........it got moved back 1/4 inch as well.