HybridZ

Obnoxious Fan

I just finished searching this forum for *loud fan* problems, but I couldnt find it. My problem is, Ever since I drove to Seattle from Montana in blistering 100 degree heat my Fan has been on the ultra high jet setting, It gets louder and louder and spins faster and faster with the rpms... its starting to get on my nerves considering its october and its now 40 degrees and I dont need a rediculous fan for cooling. my car is a stock 1978 280z 5speed, I want to know if I can just unplug this, or if there is a complicated procedure to deal with it.

There is a bi-metallic spring on the front of the fan clutch which turns a shaft that goes into the clutch and varies port opening so the viscous fluid can vary the amount of energy transferred to the fan blades.

Yours spring could be stuck in the warm position......or......the clutch has seized solid.

Witch, which, no problem ;) I thought it was wrong, been having some problems, more then normal with common words, working on it;)

Just the way you describe the problem I was scratching my head a bit.

Have you considered going electric? Do you have operational a/c?

Witch, which, no problem ;) I thought it was wrong, been having some problems, more then normal with common words, working on it;)

Just the way you describe the problem I was scratching my head a bit.

Have you considered going electric? Do you have operational a/c?

It already is electrical, but the computer has it fixed at a rediculous rate.

Aren't most fans thermostatically controlled (i.e. no computer)? Could be a bad thermostat sending faulty info to the fan. Which fan are you using? If it's the Taurus (sp?) fan, I'm sure you can find the wiring and relay info on here. I use a simple Valley thermostatically controlled single speed unit which works great in my application and after six years, no problems.

I just finished searching this forum for *loud fan* problems, but I couldnt find it. My problem is, Ever since I drove to Seattle from Montana in blistering 100 degree heat my Fan has been on the ultra high jet setting, It gets louder and louder and spins faster and faster with the rpms... its starting to get on my nerves considering its october and its now 40 degrees and I dont need a rediculous fan for cooling. my car is a stock 1978 280z 5speed, I want to know if I can just unplug this, or if there is a complicated procedure to deal with it.

You stated that your car is stock but AFAIK 280z's did not come with an electric fan. That is where the confusion is. Do you have the stock belt driven fan and and additional electric fan or just electric? The way you described the noise, it seems like a locked clutch fan. The stock fan should turn freely when the engine is cold. If it doesn't, replace the clutch. I believe they are still available from MSA. If it is the electric fan, then there should be a thermostat that controls it. Try adjusting the thermostat if that doesn't work then replace it.

You stated that your car is stock but AFAIK 280z's did not come with an electric fan. That is where the confusion is. Do you have the stock belt driven fan and and additional electric fan or just electric? The way you described the noise, it seems like a locked clutch fan. The stock fan should turn freely when the engine is cold. If it doesn't, replace the clutch. I believe they are still available from MSA. If it is the electric fan, then there should be a thermostat that controls it. Try adjusting the thermostat if that doesn't work then replace it.

your correct, I saw the belt, but I also saw a electrical relay going to it, apparently from looking at the box of parts that came with this car, 80% of the car is 280z stock, 20% is 280zx that is on the and 5% of that 20 is not hooked up. The guy who put the motor in was a nimrod and didnt hook half of the things up, I need a new clutch.

Maybe he's talking about the A/C compressor? It's the only thing I can think of that's belt driven and has a plug. There is no way for a plug to be on a mechanical fan. And 280Zforme, for what you would spend on a new fan clutch you could probably upgrade to an electric fan set up. I would check it out

Attention Thrustnut.

I recently stumbled upon a epic thread which is right up your alley (high performance cars....and planes).

Make sure you have plenty of time.

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=5320

For car nuts, it get's to the car stuff on page 13 with stories of mickey thompson and other cool car stuff.

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=5320

seeing that I have no ac compressor Im not really sure, Im beginning to think he used that location to mount it, either way its all un-done now and back to normal, and im trying to keep the amount of electrical wires down otherwise I would convert it, but why would I do that when I have another fan clutch in the donor car for free.

So, is the fan mechanical or electrical? Simple question. You can't have wires, a relay and a fan clutch all in play here.

no, I figured out what he did, he ran the wires over the fan cover and had plug in glued to the cover to hold a plug in the wasnt hooked up in place. Its the fan clutch that has gone bad, it wont shut off when its cold