HybridZ

Fat, bendy, fuel safe filler tubing?

jeromio

So, I gots that FBody tank all installed - except for the filler (minor detail ;) ). Should I be looking for fluoro-silicon lined, poly, teflon or just rubber....?

I gotta have something S shaped. It's pretty tight in there, so I'm thinking it's gonna require some preformed elbows ($$$). Anyone have any ideas, sources, comments?

I mightconsider sealing up the old filler and creating a new one that's a straight shot to the tank. It would need to be about 6-8 inches further forward. But I really shouldn't consider that since I need to get this project on the road. I am going to end up adapting something for the filler since the stock filler is like 3 inches wide and the camaro tank inlet is more like 1 inch ID. Also, I know on my truck the S-shaped filler hose creates problems with filling the tank - nozzle has to be just so or else fuel backs up.

Ugh, nothing can be simple. Tank fits nicely though.

Guest Drewz

TIm that is too funny man. Ratbert if you carhappens to burn to the ground and it is the fault of that hose it will probably void your insurance. I am not bashing you I just would hate to see a Z burn. puke.gifpuke.gif All I used was some exhaust tubing , heavy wall, and a short piece of hose from a wrecker that was in V good shape as Mike said. IMO 2thumbs.gif

Just get some aluminum tubing. No rust and much lighter. If you want to get fancy have it bent to the correct shape and weld on a cap flange, maybe something from a radiator would work. Then you will only have one 'rubber' joint. Use some hylemar on the rubber/aluminum mating surfaces to avoid any seepage (don't use silicon, gasoline breaks it down).

Tim

I did consider using hard tubing (steel or plastic) and then a section of neoprene or poly (available at HomeDepot). The bendy parts definately cannot be regular tubing cuz it's tight turns and the tubing would just kink.

That fluoro silicon stuff is way out expensive.

Hrm. My list of unexpected minor little issues (fill hose, ujoint, pcm location) is growing steadily.... eek2.gif

Guest Anonymous

I have used standard radiator hose before. I can hear it now: "It's not made to withstand gasoline!"

True, but it's not like it's immersed in fuel 24/7. When does it see fuel? Only during fill-up.

Most tanks fill at mid point up to just below the top of the tank. So when you fill up, the gas is all the way up the fill tube. Untill you use up that gas, yes the rubber hose is in gas 24/7, so you don't want to use a rad hose. Did you try using the same diameter exhaust pipe bent the way you need it? Then just use a short piece of fuel type rubber to connect it to the tank. When I moved my tank to the center of the rear, I used a small piece of exhaust pipe to fill the gap.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Drewz:

Ratbert if you carhappens to burn to the ground and it is the fault of that hose it will probably void your insurance. I am not bashing you I just would hate to see a Z burn.

Yeah, I guess I should have put this in proper context... bonk.gif

It was on an old '67 Ford truck and the filler neck on the tank was such that the hose indeed was not immersed in fuel, even when the tank was full, only when filling. I am not a Z car person (yet - actually I am seriously contemplating a SBC swap into a 810 and was directed here for advice) and don't know how the tank lays out.

I once lost a Shelby GLH clone due to a fuel leak at the engine and don't take this stuff lightly as my post might have indicated.

Please forgive me for my error! hail.gif

Guest 73TPIZ

I'm not sure which year tank you're using (LT1,LS1) but here's what i did. I removed the spare tire well, took a '97 Z28 tank and installed it backwards (filler on pass side), cut neck off ~4" from tank, bent accordian piece left on tank a little w/ the hot wrench, welded a 2" exhaust elbow at a slight angle to get it thru the factory hole in hatch floor, bought some 2" clear (PVC?) hose from Lowe's (has reinforcing string imbedded in it,thick and stiff, but ok) to attach to filler. On top I took the tank filler pipe (cut off Z28 tank)and cut it ~2" down from factory GM snout and welded it inside my datsun filler flange (fit perfectly). To mount the tank I drilled off (spot welds) the strap mounting brackets(rear) and moved them over to line up w/tank and welded them back. Welded 3/4" tubing front to rear between crossmembers,welded 1/8" plate hanging down from the front of each one and cut notches in them to accept the factory datsun strapping bolts (extended {sectioned} one strap ~6" by welding in strapping from hardware store).I don't know how well this fills yet but I must say that it looks almost factory. even used the factory 3 screw flange w/ cut floormat to seal where filler hose goes thru floor. Sorry so long but hope this helps. May get a camera later and try to document some of this.

Guest 73TPIZ

Jeromio, forgot to mention that I have visited your website several times and your project looks awesome. cheers.gif Great info on the upgrades (brakes, etc.) Good luck with getting it on the road.

• 1 year later...

Here's one place for real fuel safe hose.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fsafe8b.htm

So what are people doing to stop fuel from staying in the hose 24-7? I'm worried about fuel creeping up towards the filler opening on hard turns or whatever, and I simply want it to stay in the tank not the hose.

How about dry break?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fsafe8.htm

Owen