HybridZ

pulling out my 408.sbc and replacing it with a ls1 type

i havent decided yet if i will use a pre made mount or make my own i dont really like the jtr setup .. i would like to go with something a bit more solid .... the curent sbc is a built up 408 it gets 8 miles a gallon and its not verry reliable as a day to day set up there was just too much fussing with it ... what do you think of the lm7 and lq4 as alternative to the ls1 and what year do they start to use the displacement on demand

i havent decided yet if i will use a pre made mount or make my own i dont really like the jtr setup .. i would like to go with something a bit more solid .... the curent sbc is a built up 408 it gets 8 miles a gallon and its not verry reliable as a day to day set up there was just too much fussing with it ... what do you think of the lm7 and lq4 as alternative to the ls1 and what year do they start to use the displacement on demand

JTR doesn't make a LSx mount kit, JCI does and that is what I am running as are dozens of others. JTR does sell LSx swap headers that are made custom for them by Sanderson. They are designed to work with JCI swap kit. I am also running these.

I hear you on the gas mileage part. My last Z had a built big block 454 Chevy and got horrid mileage, but sure was fun!

From someone who has run both a 2004 LM7 5.3 and a 2005 LQ4 6.0 I can tell you that both are awesome motors. IMO LS1/LS2/LS3/LS6 motors are way overpriced.

I believe DoD came out in 2007 with the truck motors, but I wouldn't mess with the DoD. If mileage is a goal you don't need to worry. There are several here that have reported 30 mpg with their setups and many more I know are getting 25+ mpg.

Couldn't he use a set of mount adapters that adapt the SBC to LSx engines? I would imagine since he has a SBC in his car already he could use them. I was kinda planning to go this route eventually because i can pick up a LQ9 fairly cheap b/c my dad has a couple at his wrecking yard.

Tried that. It would make headers a pain.

i looked at those and than would make 3 pices of steeel for the mount . that seems a bit scary

what about puting the lm7 with a 700r i know you need to change the valve body becaus of the tv cable and you need a adaptor for the fly wheel i callled summit asking them and they didnt know what i was talking about

what about the truck oil pan any of you have a pic of the clearence using the jci mounts

Nope, the truck pan will not work without lifting the car 8"+. Your only oil pan options (that I am aware of) are LS1 '98-'02 F-Body or '05-'07 Corvette LS2 (only the Corvette pan, not the TBSS, GTO, CTS-V, etc).

i was looking at the specs on the hummer oil pan it is only 6 in tall how far down would that stick out

Even if that is true, I'd think a '98-'02 F-Body oil pan would be cheaper and easier to find.

LQ4 is an iron block 6.0L (no sleeves)....so with the available Lunati kit, you can stroke it to a 427. Some LS2 heads...and you're smokin'...probably even putting down more than your SBC, and with better mileage.

Then again, if it's 20mpg you're after....nvm.

In order to get 427 cubes with a 6.0 block you'll need a 4.25" stroker crank. That sounds nice on paper, but in the real world its another story.

The problem with even the 4.00" stroker kits is the piston skirts are very short and they tend to rock in the bores and the make matters worse the the cylinder bore skirts on iron LS (4.8/5.3/6.0) blocks aren't as long/deep as the aluminum versions so the pistons leave the bores more on bottom dead center. Both of these issues will ruin a set of pistons over time.

I can only imagine the length of time that a 4.25" stroker piston will last.....

so next week i am driving to la and then up the coast to seattle i would love the chance to see a converted z dose any won live out there that wouldent mind a visitor checking out there z

I live 2 hours North of Los Angeles just off the 99. There are two of us LSx powered S30 Z's here in Bakersfield too.

ok so what kind of power can i get out of the lm7 like if i change the cam and intake

i have heard you can get a lot of power from the lq4 i am just wondering witch one i should i start with and will i be happy with the lm7.

For the price difference, I am sure you'll be happy with the LM7 and a mild cam like the Lunati Voodoo 60510.