HybridZ

New floors, rails & seats while i'm at it

ZR8ED

Figured this is a good place to post my next project. A project that I have been putting off for too long.

I had patchwork replacement floors done 15 years ago, after patchwork was done 3 years before then. The work was done very well, and has lasted all this time, BUT time has taken its toll. I was putting it off as long as I could up until the car was improperly put on the hoist...After I specifically demonstrated HOW to put it on the hoist. It was lifted on the frame rail near the firewall. Yeesh. Crumpled it up pretty good. Good thing I have a cage. Well I have put this off for too long now, and its time to "Nut up or shut up"! (zombieland quote.)

Sooo I picked up some floors and rails from Zedd Findings. Charlie lives relatively close, so Yesturday, I made the 2hr drive to pick up my stuff. I have spoken to the bodyshop that did my original flares/paint job, and they are just waiting for me to get all the parts I need. I've been waiting until the end of the season because the car has been running well, and I didn't want to miss the summer.

I already have a full interior with new door seals, windshield and windshield seal, dash cap, custom door panels, and a new carpet kit. I will remove the carpets/seats etc, and cover up the rest of the car for the welding process. This is making me pretty nervous taking apart a working car for some serious structural work.

Anyhoo. The floors/rails look great, and hopefully will be a snap to install. "while I'm at it" has crept in, as I am unhappy with my modified Fiero seats. They are quite comfy, but have no provisions for my harnesses, and they need to be upolstered anyways. I am looking closely at installing some Sparco Torino 2's. I'm sure there will be mods neccessary after the floor work to put ANY seat back in, so I might as well get what I want, and only have to cut my new carpet up once if required.

I will post updates to this project, and hope that it won't take too much time. I will post before/after pics, and hopefully get some unusual shots ie through the floor while its out just for laughs. I will also continue this thread as I go through the seat ordeal..uh I mean project.

Ahhhhh. I hope I don't go that far. Besides. Once I have the new floors/rails done. I will prime and paint them for protection purposes, but from there? I'm thinking even more extensive belly pan work. I'll have fresh metal to weld and bolt to. Delusions of vast expanses of smooth shiny aluminum under the car..maybe future integration of sideskirting. Don't get me going I'm already doing the "while I'm at it".

Someone help me please.. ;)

before you know it.. the car will be on a rotisserie.. i mean if your going to POR-15 or paint the frame rails and new pans.. why not paint the whole underside right?!

thats what happened to me. damnit!!

Hahaha, you're really happy with your decision huh? :icon45:

It'll be worth it man! Keep chuggin'!

• 2 months later...

Wow its been this long!?

The weather this fall has been sooo great, I've been putting off the work, while I get in "another drive" in before the snow. Well its been more than few "get in another drive". The temps have finally plummeted, and we have had a bit of snow, so its off to the shop. I dropped it off two days ago, and word is it should be ready just before xmas. We'll see. I made it quite clear, that this was to be a thorough job, as the car may be "for sale" Yup I said that. More on that later. So we came to an understanding of how it will be completed, seat mounting, roll cage reinforcement etc. I trust this shop, as he did my original install of the widebody, which was a tremedous undertaking and lots of custom fabricating. I'm extremely busy at work, so I may not get down there to get some pics, so you may all have to wait until I pick up the car. (hopefully the roads will be clear)

The plan is to keep the seat mounts as close to stock as possible, so whatever seat I may switch to, can work using the stock rails.

I don't plan on putting it actually under the tree when it comes back, but this is pretty much my xmas present for the next year or two. hehehe.

I'm in Ontario as well...Toronto to be exact. Can you tell me which shop are you using for your work as I don't have anyone here I can trust yet. I left one of the best guys back in Vancouver so I am looking for a reputable place to bring my 240Z.

I always enjoyed your car...radical and yet very appealing. I look forward to seeing the new floors and the work done.

Cheers,

Chris

Joker72z. PM sent with specifics

I have a bit of time today, and will try and stop by the shop for a little inspection. The suspense is killing me. I missed the car so much, I spent the weekend detailing my two daily cars (since the garage was empty) and then spent the rest of the time in the garage cleaning and organizing for its return. I also cleaned the interior so it will be ready to reinstall. The carpet and centre console/radio will be a joy to put all back together. No big hurry with the heat on in the garage. Time to clean up a few items, and try to neaten up other stuff, touchup paint etc.

Scott.

Congrats on the new stuff. My 240 is slowly starting to make progress again. The car should have been done already. I've decided come hell or high water I'll be driving it this summer, with a paintjob. It's still sitting on stands, front end and rear end ripped out of it.

If and when you decide to sell your car, let me know. I've always liked your car and can appreciate what's gone into it.

Well I did find the spare time, and managed to sneak into the shop just as he was closing for the day.

He had run out of mig gas, so was calling it a day. A new bottle could not be delivered in time, so it will come in today.

Job looks about 85% completed. Both floors are in. Passenger side is fully complete, with extra extensions and bracing per my discussion with him. I asked to have the rail reinforced in the area where it would get put on a hoist. This area is in good condition, but I wanted a good strong transition to the Zedd Findings floors/and rails. I have also asked to extend the rails further back and to wrap up towards the sway bar mounting area. The floor kit supplied by Charlie looks very good, and fits nicely in its new home. I asked for the additional reinforcements for...well you get the idea. It was a bit tricky to tie the floor into the front part of the roll cage and into the firewall, but it looks really good now. Floors will get 3M seamsealer (I checked this stuff out, and it is the same stuff we use in OEM) All the metal inside and out will get primed/painted/clearcoated. 3M undercoating is then going to get put on the exterior.

I'm very pleased with the results so far. Car will be finished today, and I can pick it up on the 23rd. I'm into this for well over a grand including the floor kit so far but it is money WELL spent. I will report with a final dollar breakdown and some pics soon.

Thanks for following along!

That's money well spent Scott. I had an estimate to do the floors on my black '72 when I was out west and the costs were almost 3x that of your guy. I'm definitely going to keep his information handy when I need work done and go see him...

Glad to hear the work is what you expected....would love to see some pics if you get a chance as I want to see the extra reinforcement around the lift points.

Merry Christmas

Chris

Finally a partial update. Kinda busy with family this past week.

Ok the deal is completed. Labour 1000.00 Floors and rails were about 300.00. I stripped out the interior, and I will have to put it back in, but I don't think I could get a better deal with anyone that I'd trust with my car.

Ok so I have not uploaded the pics yet, but the floors look really good. I need to get some rubber floor plugs, then I can start to put all the carpets and console back in. Overall I'm very pleased with the results. It is all tied in with the cage and the rest of the car. There is no way these floors are coming out anytime soon.

Cheers!

pics to come on my next day off.

Ok here are the pics. Please excuse the mess of wires. I never got shots before all the seam sealer/paint either, but you get the idea. I still had the drivers side seat mounted from driving the car home, but you can see most of the passenger side floor. Note that the stock seat mounts were retained.

driversfloor.jpg

passengerfloor.jpg