HybridZ

A/C system alternatives

Grog

Anyone have any recommendations and experience on installing an alternate A/C system in a 280Z? I have a 350ci Pontiac V-8 in my Z and I do not want to put the old A/C compressor, drier, etc... back on. Aside for installing a Vintige Air system, anyone use something else out of a different vehicle?

Some parts stores and machine shops make custom ac hoses. All you need are the fittings/hose ends, and length measurements.This will allow you to use the newer style compressor and brackets to fit your engine,while allowing the use of the stock ac system.(Evaporator,fan,blower housing) Replacing the dryer/accumulator with a new stock replacement would work perfectly well. I personally like the stock steel ac lines in the z.They are much less likely than rubber hose to develope leaks, and they take up much less space, keeping the engine compartment much less cluttered ;)

I have a sanden compressor and Alan Grove low profile compressor bracket mounted on the driver's side head. The same bracket for the passsenger side probably won't have enough room. I have the flexible lines, they look ok. The rest of the system is stock factory 280z air for the most part.