HybridZ

Autometer gauges

Arif

Which type of gauges are the best to install into a first gen. Z, mechanical or electrical? What is the deciding factor when choosing between the two? Also, is there a way to install the speedo and tach without removing the dash? I am looking at getting the following gauges:

water temp.

oil press.

volt meter

fuel level

fuel press. (maybe)

Arif,

Firstly, if you can manage to get the old speedo and tach out then you're doing very well. Those wing nuts can be VERY tight after years and years. Once out then it's easy. But trust me the whole job would be easier with the dash out, esp. the three pod gauges.

As for Mech vs elec.: Mech are ususally more accurate, and the either work or don't, so you always know where you stand. On the other hand, they need bigger holes in the firewall to get the fittings through. The electric gauges are easier and neater (?) to install. I've never had any problems with electric gauges and I love the ease of installation.

I generally use a mechanical for 'oil pressure', just because that's the most important gauge that needs to work and work accurately. The rest I use electric.

You may find in car fuel pressure very expensive, that's why I'm not using one. But nice to have.

HTH.

Tim

My experience is removing the dash in a 73 with no glass or interior...so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

It was easy enough. Just make sure that you have ALL the plugs in the dash harness disconnected. It would be easier to have someone help, but I did mine alone.

Take the seats out, it'll give you more room. Take out the 4 bolts that hold the steering column to the firewall. Then just start taking out all the bolts and pull it out. Take the oppurtunity to take care of any rattling gremlins and use compressed air to get rid of all the crud.

It is time consuming, but easier in the long run.

Tim

This is really a question to those that have installed the Autometer gauges in a Z.

I’ve only seen a couple of images of installed gauges. The three center gauges look like a good fit, but the Tach and Speedo look a little loose to me (1/16†to 1/8†gap around the gauge.)

Is it me, or just a bad installation I saw, or are the Speedo and Tach really that loose a fit?

Speedo and tach are indeed a little loose. Wrap a little foam tape around them and maybe use some flat black caulk to hold it in or bend a bracket for it. Silicone is a bit shiny IMO - it's what I used ;)

I installed mine with the dash IN, no way would I goto the trouble of pulling the dash for something this simple. My WEB site has some info on bending a bracket to install the middle ones on the stock bolts - hint: pull the vent controls to get to everything. If you encounter a stuck wingnut you may be able to break it free by putting a screwdriver in between one of the wings and the bolt and twisting. My car didn't even have all of the wingnuts under the dash!

IMO the Autometers look great. I went with Phantoms but I'd use the Lunars if I did it again. Go with the BIG tach and speedo, get the tach with external lite and buy the Summit recall to have the best of both worlds. I took the lite off and replaced it with a smaller one up on the dash. The Autometer extension cord for the lite isn't needed, mine turned into a spare.

Lemme know if you have any other questions, it wasn't a hard job. I used mechanical guages for water and oil pressure - fuel gauge will be the biggest PITA but since I've got a fuel cell it was no biggie. Electronic Speedo worked fine with the T56's OEM sensor. I used a GPS to calibrate it.

I took a different route putting the Autometer 5" IN-DASH monster Tach and Speedo in. When I bought the tach a few years ago, it came with the older style bezel ring. I simply cut about 5/8" off the back side of the Datsun black plastic gage bezel (near where the little screws hold it to the metal Z tach case) and fit it to the front of the Autometer INDASH tach. It's kind of wierd fit, but I used some postal cellophane tape (the strong sticky stuff) to hold the two together. At the rear, I made a bracket out of 1.5" wide flat steel, bent into a u-type shape, with holes that the studs at the back of the tach went through, and the studs for the Z wing nuts went through.

A year later when I bought the In Dash Speedo, it had the new style bezel ring on it. But it came with a note that said if you shipped it back, they'd put an old style ring on it for you. It just fits together with the cut-down Z bezel better with the old style, so I sent it back.

One nice thing about putting the Z bezels on the Autometers is that you can mount some low profile LEDs like Radio Shack sells (the threaded shank 12V ones) in the sides of the Z bezel for turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, and parking brake indicator functions.

Thanks guys for the help. I got the following Autometer Pro Comp Ultra Lite gauges:

Speedo

Tach

Oil press

Fuel level

volts

water temp w sender

Does anyone have instructions or pics of how they wired up the turn signal indicators for the tach? Has anyone been able to modify gauge pods from other vehicles to fit on the 1st gen a pillars?