HybridZ

no hood latch

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I heard that you can reach from under the transmission up to the latch. You'll have to move a lever to one side to pop the hood open. That is if your cable is completely missing. If part of the cable is there, try using some pliers to grab it and pull hard. It would help you to look at someone else's car first so you know what you are trying to do.

I pulled the hood latch release on my buddies Z a few years ago - and the cable snapped. 30 year old cable with a bout 2 strands was waiting for me! We unbolted the hood from the hinges, lifted the hood a bit, and used a long screwdriver to reach from the left side of the car under the hood to move the lever to the left. Took a few minutes, but not bad.

Try this for preventative maintenance:

Loop a wire through the clevis that the release cable attaches to on the hood release lever and put it down the firewall and wrapped it around the brake lines. That way you can reach up under the car and find it and give it a pull when that cable finally breaks. Last time I checked, Nissan still has the cable assembly in stock.