HybridZ

hood restraint

660Z

Hello,I took my 240 out to the local test and tune spot for it`s first run.I don`t have a hood latch yet so i held it down with a bungie cord.Anyway a cool thing happend at speed the hood would open up like 60`s cowl induction.I know i can`t be the only one that wants the hood to do this!!!So what have pepole used in the past (chain,steelrope,ect..)i just want to be sure it`s safe at hightway speeds!!!!.Mark

Guest Anonymous

Mine sits up about an inch too, the hood locks where I have them mounted make it sit up an inch. But then again I have a 4" L88 cowl too, so the ram air part is taken car off (5" aircleaner sticking through the hood). :D

Anyway, if mine were stock, I'd do that even if its just to let out some of the heat in the engine bay, it gets pretty hot in there.

Regards,

Lone

thanks for the imput but i was looking for a alteritive to a latch basicly becaulse i don`t have one yet.do you think a steel cable would hold at highway speeds? i only want an 1 inch above the cowl mainly for heat to escape...mark

ps.do you guys run the JTR hood latch?...i wasn`t going to go with that becaulse of racing and i didn`t want to mess with taking it on and off for the dist.

Guest Anonymous

It ain't super easy, but you can just move the latch over like Pete Paraska did, distributor comes out and it opens with a cable.

Personally, while I know the cable will probably work, its IMHO kind of a cheesy solution for the problem. (as are the hoodlocks I have, its ok, but walking back and forth locking and unlocking them gets old real quick.)

What needs to be made for these cars (v8z's) is a double latch, one on each side of the middle somewhere that both are opened in one motion of the cable, something positive that can't come loose.

I'd bet a person could sell a few if its a elegant cheap solution to a bit of a problem.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

i use moroso hood pins summit part # mor-39020. Any set will do the trick. only instead of setting flush against the hood, i use spacers between the pins (under the hood) to let the hood prop up on the pins. If you ever want to flush mount the hood, just remove the spacers and thread the pins all the way down to sit flush on the hood.

i run mine popped as well....especially in the hot ass texas summer. ive had her up to a sustained 100mph for about ten minutes and had 0 problems. alot of autoXrs also run like this.

no worries as the stock finger latch will keep er closed (if its aligned right.)