HybridZ

Broken engine

caen fred

I had a blast on Sunday, a track session with 4 other Z on one of the finest French race track: Montlhery.

One of the 240Z had a 3.1 DJR 100% Britt engine and one other had a 3.1 Rebello one. I would think that the US is a short winner. The 2 other where the usual 2.8 blabla old school L engines.

Back to the point, I had an engine issue on my way back home. I left early because of what seemed a broken transmission bushing, the lever shook and buzzed a little but nothing alarming. Yet after 100 miles the engine died with a rattling noise like a busted crankshaft bearing? The engine oil level was fine when I checked before leaving, and still is? Lot of fume went out when I took the dipstick out right after the stop.

I used ARP bolts to the bottom end of this engine, the bearing are not more than 5000 miles old, and I did not had a warning from the engine before????

Could one damage a bearing like that? I didn't try to restart the engine and I am thinking about the options. Maybe the rattling isn't coming from the bottom end but from the clutch/flywheel?

I guess it's back to the garage for the winter :redface:

We speculate all day on what the problem MIGHT be, but the fact is that you will have to take it apart anyway to find out for sure. Git your wrenches a turnin' :mrgreen:

Sounds to be like a rod bolt might have come loose.

Pete

That depends. How hard do you run it before you let it get to operating temp? Did you ever at any point lose oil pressure?

Which damper are you running? Most engines tend to wear hard on the bearings as the damper starts to let go.

That depends. How hard do you run it before you let it get to operating temp? Did you ever at any point lose oil pressure?

Which damper are you running? Most engines tend to wear hard on the bearings as the damper starts to let go.

Damper? Engine or suspension?

Engine, Euro 2 row good nick, I will check :(

Suspension, 4 coil-over LEDA's the brand 100% top shape

Vos voitures sont tres jolies!!

Are the S30 Zs hard to find in France?

Est-ce que les S30 Zs 'a trouver dur en France?? [haha I'm no good at this >_<]

Hell no, as long as you buy them in the US...

Mine is a 1972 californian dentist's wify car I guess. It came with an auto box and aircon :redface:

The other 2 are also coming from the states when I think of it :shock:

They are very hard to find, but they become very popular in classic rallying.