HybridZ

Anyone done a in-car cam swap in their S30 powered GEN III/IV?

Miles and I were planning on swapping out the stock cam and valve springs in favor of a '02+ LS6 cam and springs in his 5.3 powered '73 S30 this weekend.

The oil pan has me somewhat concerned since it has to drop alittle in order to get the front cover off. I have a Corvette LS2 oil pan in mine and its damn near resting on the rack and pinion. He has a '98-'02 F-Body oil pan on his and has alittle more room than I.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys have done a cam swap while the GEN III/IV motor while its still installed in their S30 (using JCI mounts)? If so, any helpful tips/tricks that we could use?

Let's keep this thread from going off subject. Please do not post about doing a cam swap in any other type of motor or car since it doesn't pertain to this situation. Thanks guys.

Miles and I were planning on swapping out the stock cam and valve springs in favor of a '02+ LS6 cam and springs in his 5.3 powered '73 S30 this weekend.

The oil pan has me somewhat concerned since it has to drop alittle in order to get the front cover off. I have a Corvette LS2 oil pan in mine and its damn near resting on the rack and pinion. He has a '98-'02 F-Body oil pan on his and has alittle more room than I.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys have done a cam swap while the GEN III/IV motor while its still installed in their S30 (using JCI mounts)? If so, any helpful tips/tricks that we could use?

Let's keep this thread from going off subject. Please do not post about doing a cam swap in any other type of motor or car since it doesn't pertain to this situation. Thanks guys.

Yes, I have a 5.3 with Johns Cars Ls1 kit. I even used the same cam shaft and springs.

I don't remember dropping the pan at all. I don't think it is necessary. I used an F body pan, so maybe things are different with the 'Vette batwings. However, it was two years ago and age does have its way.

Here is the best "how to" I've read. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23 While this is in a Camaro, the process should be the same.

I had no problem. I had nothing in front of the engine. Unbolted the mounts and lifted the engine slightly with a cherry picker and a plate bolted to the heads. Removed the intake manifold and used a commercially available lift plate.

The cam switch procedure is different and much easier that your early CSB. I used two long hardwood dowels to hold the cam followers in place and pulled the cam. There are several detailed write ups on how to do this swap on both LS1.com and LSTECH.com. It is possible to remove the camshaft without jamming the plastic cam follower holders, but if they don't stay up you will be fishing them out of your pan.

The forum at LS1.com is replete with comments about how to remove valve springs. Generally, they don't like the usual levered valve removal tools. The valves on the two cylinders next to the firewall are hard to get to. I purchased a homemade tool that slides over the rocker am stud and is screwed down compressing the spring. I also used air pressure to hold the valves up and out of the block.

If there is any interest, I will post photos of the spring removal tool.

Two hours and that included a burger and coke run.

G

Edited by zgeezer
Add information, clean up spelling

I've swapped the cam in mine about 4 times, with it in the car. Easy! I've got an LS1 with JCI kit in my S30. For the bolts that hold on the timing chain cover, from the bottom. I just used an open end wrench to get at them and its hardly a problem at all. I used a small amount of RTV on the cover when going back together for a little extra insurance.

I also used a home made tool that screwed onto the rocker arm hole to compress the valve spring. I just put whatever cylinder I was working on, @ TDC and screwed the tool down, Valve touched the piston and the spring compressed enough to remove the keepers. Also, You can buy dowel steel to slide through the lifter oil gallies in the front of the motor to keep the lifters from falling down while you're pulling the cam out and putting it back in.

Thanks guys, I am no stranger to do cam swaps LSx motors themselves, but I've always done it on an engine stand.

Now SBC/BBC is another story, I've done dozens of in-car (Chevelles, Camaros, etc) cam swaps with those motors.

Just never with a LSx AND installed in a S30. Hopefully I'll never need to worry about it personally since I did my cam swap while the motor was still sitting on the stand getting re-assembled.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys, I am no stranger to do cam swaps LSx motors themselves, but I've always done it on an engine stand.

Now SBC/BBC is another story, I've done dozens of in-car (Chevelles, Camaros, etc) cam swaps with those motors.

Just never with a LSx AND installed in a S30. Hopefully I'll never need to worry about it personally since I did my cam swap while the motor was still sitting on the stand getting re-assembled.

Thanks again.

Here's a small correction. I reviewed my photos and it appears that I needed to lift the engine to allow removal of two bolts at the front of the pan to the timing chain cover. The pan was not dropped, but the engine was raised enough to allow access to the bolts and to pull them free of the timing chain cover. There was enough clearance through the front bulkhead to use the hardwood dowels to hold the plastic cam follower retainers.

Sorry for the incomplete information.

g