HybridZ

Framerail Questions

madlarkin

Hi Folks,

Just doing the research into a set of fabricated box steel framerails as opposed to the BD option. It seems like the most common solution is 2x3 box steel but have seen a couple people going with 1"x3". I would like to keep them external from the cabin to avoid raising the floor, would 1x3 .120 wall be stiff enough for the intended purpose? The other option would be 1.5x3 .188 wall but that seems to be a bit overkill.

Cheers!

Explain " intended Purpose ". Are you building a monster or just repairing back to stock?

I just realized how ambiguous that was, my bad. I was trying to figure out of something of that dimension would be stiff enough to even consider. The car has an RB25 waiting to get swapped with the intended power goal of 400whp +-.

I used 1x3 .120 wall tubing for subframe connectors on my track car. They replaced what was left of the stock rails. 3 years on the track and no issues.

Thanks for the input, I figured that .120 would be fine but wanted some sort of confirmation. The car is mostly going to see sunny day street time and HPDEs.

I used 1X2" .083 wall tubing, it's twice as thick as the originals, and weighs less. It is still a big rigidity upgrade, but it's not as big, bulky, or heavy as the heavier 1x3 tubing that some use. I'd consider it more of a "stock replacement" weight, than a serious stiffining upgrade.

Hopefully I can get the car up on the rotisserie by the end of the month and start working on it. I have settled on the 1x3 .120, although I am thinking about ordering a set of the BD rails just to check them out. Worst case scenario I just resell them local :)