HybridZ

Injector cooler on turbo motor

IdahoKidd

I am installing the complete engine assembly from an 83zx turbo into a 77 280z. Looking at pictures of others with similar conversions, they don't seem to have the little hair dryer looking fan that pumps air onto the injectors. Is this necessary to have? It REALLY clutters the engine and I wonder if people leave it off for that very reason and deal with the consequences. (it is amazing, the amount of "clutter" attached to this engine............)

Leonard

I have not had any problems not running one. But some people do. You can run without it and the first time It vapor locks put it on so it wont happen again. It wont hurt anything it just may make it annoying if you do have problems.

I think as long as you're not in Arizona in 100+ degree heat, you'll be fine running without this. I took mine out and am not missing it...several here have too. It's for vapor lock in the fuel rail I believe.

I have toyed with the thought of fabbing a heat shield for the fuel rail. I hate the injector cooler concept in that it just blows hot air onto hot parts. If there was some physical barrier to the heat generated by the engine, then we wouldn't need that blower. I got rid of mine like day 1.LOL. I live in Boise, Id. we see 100 Degrees occasionally. I have had no problem. I will post pics of my would be heat shield here if anyone is interested.

Thanks guys, I'll leave it off. Still in the learning curve on this fuel injection/tubo stuff and didn't want to have to chase a bad signal of some sort to the computer because the goofy thing wasn't there. It rarely gets 100 here and if it does, I'll drive the Benz, it has a/c : )

Thanks guys, I'll leave it off. Still in the learning curve on this fuel injection/tubo stuff and didn't want to have to chase a bad signal of some sort to the computer because the goofy thing wasn't there. It rarely gets 100 here and if it does, I'll drive the Benz, it has a/c : )

Be sure to read the "EFI Bible":

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...ectionbook.pdf

Right click, choose "save as," and read it. It's for the 280 (S30-not S130) cars but is a great reference for the EFI system on our cars too. Helped me out a lot when diagnosing my smog issues. The FSM (on the site below) is fantastic too since it's model/year specific and has tons of ECU tests you can run with a simple OHMmeter.

Also, this is a great reference:

http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

I just recently installed one on my Infiniti M30 with L28et.

Before I installed it, parking the car at the grocery store for 15 minutes and trying to restart was a horrible bitch with mucho missing and popping for about 1 minute until it went away.

I guess it depends on the application because the M30 engine compartment does not have a hole directly over the turbo so the heat instead concentrates around the intake manifold rather than passing by it on the way out the hole in the hood.

If I'm not mistaken, the 77 hood has vents.

Once I added the fan, I no longer have trouble starting the car after a 10 minute hot soak.

The timer for the S130 is behind the passenger side kick panel about level with the bottom of the dashboard.

I have been using one from a Z31 but had trouble with it because the Z31 manual just copies the section from the 280zx manual.......which was not correct even in the 280zx manual.

Also.....the 300zx timer looks different.

I used the schematic supplied in the 280zx manual and followed the board traces through the components to determine the correct pin out and now it works.

Luckily, the manual being wrong caused no smoke when connecting it that way........It just did nothing.

It works correctly with the wiring on the right side of the diagram.

fantimer.jpg