HybridZ

Eibach or Tokico Lowering Springs?

I've heard complaints about the Tokico springs, but not much about the Eibachs. I want to stay with lowering springs and not coilovers. Are there other manufacturers? ST springs are not making them for Z's any more. I have a '71 240Z. I only want to do this once. Any advice is much appreciated.

I run the eibachs with illumina shocks. It is also fitted with front and rear sway bars. I don't track my car so can't say how well these handle under those conditions. The ride on the street is very nice. Handling is tight and the ride isn't too harsh (shocks turned to 2-f and 3-r). I've almost finished fitting my new R200 Quaife 3.9 diff. I might be inspired to give autocross a try soon although several club members have threatened to kick my butt if I do cause the car is soooo nice.

The front springs from Tokico are progressive and on some cars most of the coils bind resulting in bottoming out on big bumps. I'm not sure why it only occurs on some and not others. FYI, I have them on my 73 with Illuminas and it's a good combination for the street. And for "casual" track use with the struts stiffened up (4 front, 5 rear) they're not bad, but not as stable as I'd like at higher speeds, say over 80. Basically they're good for street and mild track use.

I haven't tried Eibachs nor do I know anyone who has so can't help there.

I had the Eibach springs on my '78 280Z for about six months and it was an improvement over the stocks (ride, and looks). Right now my car is in the shop getting the Ground Control Coilovers on which will even the stance even more so I'm excited to see that when its done. All in all, I really liked the Eibachs

What are your plans for driving the car? Any autocross or track use? Is this a daily driver for you, or a weekend toy car?

I think most people use the Illuminas because they are really the only reasonably priced adjustable shock still available. If you like to fiddle with settings, and also play around with tire pressures, then you'll probably enjoy the illuminas. But if you prefer to put it in, set it, and forget it, then go with the Blues.

The main advantage of the Illuminas is that you can set them firmer for aggressive driving (track and autocross) and then soften them back up for driving on the street. I have a friend with Blues and Tokico springs in his 260 and they felt something like the 1 or 2 setting on the Illuminas. So the Illuminas let you go firmer for special occasions, but I don't think you'd want to drive that way on the street regularly. And I don't think our 30+ year old unibody chassis would survive it over time either :)

I Don't recommend the Eiboch springs, I daily and autocross/rallycross my 240z. they feel too loose then get way too stiff under load, the result is a floaty and non-linear, non-predictable feel. I used Eiboch, suspension techniques and Tokico springs, I prefer tokico hands down for street and track. The Tokico springs do not bind on my car, I have urathane bump stops. They do have coils that are compressed that don't seem to do anything, but they do.... when the suspension drops they decompress and prevent the spring from floating.

for street and occasional use with an l-series engine in a 240z i recomend the tokico blues and springs with urethane bump stops. they are perfectly matched for each other. I used this setup for 7 years and put 100k miles on them and raced with them.

just a side note.

Do not use KYB GR-2 struts with any of the lowering springs, they are stock replacements! they will bounce like a civic with $20 ebay coilovers.