HybridZ

I just bought a torch.

GrayZee

I used to have a torch like the first pic but after many years the oxygen valve failed.

So I bought one like the second pic, it uses a MC and a R tank

I haven't tried it yet, how do you think it will compare? I don't use a torch much mostly just for the occasional rusty bolt. The old one did the job for the most part but could have had a little more heat to offer, also it went though oxygen like crazy. Basically I needed a new bottle everytime for everytime I used it.

oxy torch_thumb.jpg

torch2_thumb.jpg

those plumbers torch packs are really handy,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65818

and can be used for many things but they don,t compare to the versatility of the true welding torches, (but then they are far less expensive)and come with tanks which the pro style torch combos don,t

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=MD-510T

what you buy depends on your application of course, I used one of those plumbers packs in the shop for several years then it eventually dawned on me that I was spending far to much time running after tank refills and that in certain applications I was in need of far more torch than I had, so I upgraded and it was a big improvement, (but also expensive, at almost $780 for everything)

Edited by grumpyvette

have your extinguisher handy, always.

Good advise.

Around here the disposable orange tanks are around $10 and the green bottle refills are $30. Anybody have thoughts on how long the new bottles will last? I found with my old kit I would go through 5-10 bottles of oxygen for every bottle of propane. I am assuming the heavier green bottle can withstand more pressure and therefore hold more oxygen per volume?

Also, I think the more you use a torch the more sense it makes to get bigger tanks, I considered getting the bigger rental tanks but I was only buying a few of those little disposable tanks a year I figured I would be spending just as much on rentals as I would on the gas itself. For me it seemed to make more sense to own a tank and not worry about rental fees. If I had a exhaust shop or something, I would get the biggest tank I could.

One of the keys to remember is do not rely on the valves to completely seal off, always unscrew the bottles when in storage.

John

Definately! I always try to disconnect everything before putting it away for the day. I forgot on a newly filled very large set of oxy/acet. tanks and had lost every bit of it in both tanks by the next time I needed to use them!!!

I think what jt meant was to unscrew the disposable bottles when in storage.

Corrrect on all these smaller torches it is a good habit to simply unscrew the bottles, on larger bottles simply close the valve.

Sorry for any confusion...

John

Guest lugsudcap

Looks like such a gem of a spot mate! I love the look of those big old trees running along the banks.

Great to see the bass are still in there growing big and fat!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a chance to try the new torch out and man what a difference from my old setup!! Night and day..

Grumpyvette you said that in certain applications that you needed a much bigger torch. I am curious, what did you need a bigger torch for? I can't really imagine needed anything more, at least not in a automotive application.

the larger torches provide more heat and can do so over both a larger area and for a longer time,keep in mind its not just the weld your heating with a torch, and getting the welded area up to temperature, to make a solid weld ,that temperature in the area adjacent to the actual weld can be critical to success on some applications like welding aluminum, with a torch,or when even welding large thick components like the 14" long 5/16" thick brackets on a 4 link to a rear differential when your building a 4 link suspension, welds that appear to be solid that won,t fully penetrate are common on larger components if both parts act like heat sinks, now with a MIG or TIG heat is localized and higher in the weld area itself, but with a torch it takes a good deal of heat to actually get metal flowing correctly, in the weld itself

Edited by grumpyvette