HybridZ

Plastic Welder?

Chaparral2f

I have had SOME experience with one. And by some I mean welding 3 pieces of plastic together for a basic class proving that I could do it. They seem to be mostly used for smaller stuff, even though they do put out a good amount of heat. I honestly don't think it would work on an airdam, but you can always try.

Just make sure to point the "heater" at an angle and try not to burn the material. Keep it about an inch away or more and work closer if it is not melting enough.

I did try using this one at work.

http://www.eastwood.com/airless-plastic-welder-model-6.html

We used it for interior part repairs. It was very smelly, but seemed to do the trick. I was not very good at it :( but some of the other guys repairs turned out quite nice. It came with a bunch of different type plastic welding rods.

Has anyone had any experience with a plastic welder? I'm thinking about getting one. Will it work on heater air ducting, or the urathane on the front facia? This is what I'm looking at and could use any information you guys might have to share.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592

A friend of mine experienced in plastic welding says they aren't too bad. The issue is the tips that are used more than anything else. He has a number of custom ones and this welder was modified to use those. As far as heat source and air mixing it seems good enough.

Cary

I work in auto body and have used them a great deal.The are nice on bumper repairs to an extent becuase regardles you have to use a little bit of body fller over where you have welded.I have never used it for anything besides bumpers on cars though.In my opinion the most superiour way to repair plastic is to use a product by 3M called 5887 duramix.Its a 2 part epoxy and is STRONG!you cant pull a repair apart with this.Awesome for massive tears in bumpers or anything plastic for that matter.

• Administrators

I occasionally weld plastic. What I use is similar to that linked in the first post, but with a rollerized rod feeder/guide (manual) slipped on the end. I've only used it on PVC, CPVC, and Polypro.

Depending on weld orientation and quality, it can be reasonably strong.

Built a laptop stand on an existing poly cart a couple weeks ago for a customer...

PlasticWeld.jpg