HybridZ

Beating Calif smog laws

staledale

Guest Anonymous

Ummm, well that might be something you sell sorta on the sly, like "Pssst, hey buddy... Ya wanna buy a title?" The thought has been discussed here before (theoretically of course ;) ) and I suppose it could work ok, I don't know how many distinguishing marks are on the z's outside of the vin tag and engine compartment tag. A inspector at the average smog station probably wouldn't notice it unless he knew about Z's and body changes and such. Mums the word.. confused2.gif

Regards,

Lone

• 4 years later...

I guess you could do that...or you could just register in another state. (like Pennsylvania)

Check this out....PA has no front plates. If you're in the military, PA also has this cool clause...you no longer have to pay state taxes! (though we still pay federal...hehe...we pay ourselves...how hilarious is that)

Here's the deal. YOu do have to be a resident of PA...and in the military....but once you get around that, it's a simple matter of..

1) write down your car's vin, and drive that car to police dept.

2)Get said friendly police officer to sign his name and badge # onto the document with your vin on it. (you have to drive the same car down so the police officer can verify that the vin is for that vehicle, so he can confirm that to the PA dmv)

3) Fax to Pennsylvania DMV, along with the application form, pictures of the car (preferably one would have a clear view of the VIN plate, then at least one pic of the car to make sure it's not wrecked) and the dues for registration. (see http://www.state.pa.us)

4)Wait for your shiny new plate to arrive.

5) Install plate. Now you can revel in the fact that while you live in California you don't have to smog every two years, plus those pesky red light cameras are stymied.

Of course.....if you ever find yourself in PA be prepared to...

1) Get a safety inspection every year, along with a smog test (not like cali's unless you're in bucks, phila, or allegheny counties...that's philly, suburbs of philly, and pittsburgh)

2)get a new registration plate every 4 years or so (PA has this ridiculous tendency to revamp thier license plates routinely, and all the old ones are no longer valid...great for cops, bad for collectors who want to keep the same year plate on thier car)

Just an idea.

Of course...if you're non-resident military you can buy a car in California. Once the initial smog is done you never have to smog it again...I feel bad about the Buick I had to get rid of because of the base smog rules, but then again I would have never bought my Z if not for that. (so in a way I can almost thank the smog nazis)

I've had it for nearly 4 years now and have never had to smog it once, other than initial purchase. (non-resident military clause)

As long as the Z doesn't prompt a ref ticket I'm good, and since I'm going back home in 10 days I'm not worried anymore.

I also live in Pa in a Smog test area, here is how I got around the emission test requirement.I titled the ZX as a Classic car, this way it is exempt from emissions inspection. As a 1983 it would need a smog pump and cat converters to pass emissions, needless to say my SBC 350 has a PVC valve as the only emissions equipment.