HybridZ

Reflective Heat Film - Silver or Gold - WTF?!

proxlamus©

I'm going crazy...

Can someone explain to me the major differences from gold and silver?!

It was my understanding that gold is the best heat reflector followed by silver... but accoring to the specs listed on HPR racings website.. it seems like Silver Foil has better properties?!

So why would NASA, Formula 1 and the McLaren F1 use gold?! I know Silver is nearly twice as heavy as Gold.. but.. what else could it be??!!!

Reflective Film - Gold

This gold reflective film reflects up to 750°F of radient heat and has a heat soak/continuous operating temperature of 450°F. This film will break down at 850°F of continuous radiant heat. There is up to 70°F gradient temperature drop across the 6 mil thick film during normal operating temperatures.

The film weighs about 5 ounces per square yard.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Reflective_Film_-_Gold&form_prod_id=66,7_3153&action=product

Reflective Film - Silver

This silver reflective film reflects at least 95% of the radiant energy. This film provides radiant heat protection up to 1050°F and higher for short durations. There is at least a 250°F gradient temperature drop across the 10 mil thick film during normal operating temperatures.

The film weighs about 9 ounces per square yard.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Reflective_Film_-_Silver&form_prod_id=66,7_3152&action=product

The gold tape that HRP sales is not the same as what is used by NASA or in high-end racing. The 'real' stuff is a 1000$ a liner foot and only avaible in 3" wide rolls. I have been looking for it for years but only found one place but they shut down. Tho many of peaple have used both (mainly gold) with good results.

• 3 weeks later...