HybridZ

v8 in a 1981 280zx 2+2?

powershotnt

Oh, I agree completely and the V8 goes well in the stiffer ZX chassis.:iagree:

This is after all Hybridz.org so pretty much anything goes.

It's just that starting with a very rusty non-sentimental 2+2 ZX as the starting point of a major investment is awfully unusual.

my friends and wife call me unusual as well...hmmm maybe they are right????:shock: i am going for something completely unique..some fender mods..wider in the rear..no fiberglass though..body guy says maybe a year or 2 in our climate..metal and fiberglass expand and contract with heat and cold at different rates and cracks are guaranteed to apear. I am leaning towards removing the rear seats and making a fiberglass platform for strereo amps and subwoofer and storage...incorporating the chrome rails that are in the coupe. I am so impressed with this site and the wealth of knowledge..i am fairly new to forums and have used the search before..but when i use the "search" i get 15 pages and 99.9% have nothing to do with what i was looking for. I guess i need to be more patient. I am not building this car for resale or to try and make money..this will be my "BABY"...obviously a very expensive baby:)

no extra mods were made to this car, the customer couldnt afford any more bits and pieces. it actually drove really nice under power as well. didnt dart or feel wobbly. i havent heard from him in quite some time so maybe its wrapped around a pole in cali somewhere. it definatly needed a lsd in it tho, that much power with one tire was just a recipe for disaster. if your frame isnt rusted, i wouldnt worry about that part first, id do a strut tower, big brakes and a set of 255/40r17 tires.005.jpg

another zx v8 swapper here, guys zx (lt80 sumthing sorry guy forgot you screen name) is a very clean v8. im going with the jtr mounts and headers they reccomend (i think they use hooker. i am almost certain any block hugger header is fine), custom headers can also work but bring your wallet. also investing in a performace custom built drive shaft that has rebuildable u-joints. my project is still in the parts phase for the v8. i am currently doing chassis, brake, and suspension upgrades before shoe horning a v8 in (chasing a 91 octane 400hp dream in a car that wieghs nothing......the wifes got the life insurance papers out again...lol).

I have had a 1979 2+2 with 383+turbo 200r4 on the road for 12 months now no problems no mods and made my own mounts for motor and box, without playing my own flute here I thought it was a simple task to achieve put a complete motor in the engine bay fit mounts when the motor is in the right spot wire it plum it then send it out to exhaust to have headers and system fitted see the transport engineers and drive it to your hearts content 280zx 043_thumb.jpg

18557_thumb.attach

18558_thumb.attach

Guest Rolling Parts
...no problems...made my own mounts for motor and box, without playing my own flute here I thought it was a simple task to achieve put a complete motor in the engine bay fit mounts when the motor is in the right spot wire it plum it then send it out to exhaust to have headers and system...

That's it in a nutshell. Lower it in and make it work.

The job is easier if you have more-than-average tools at your disposal (engine lift, cutting tools, welder, drill press, grinder and a vice). It only gets hard if you don't have the tools to DO and engine swap...

what if any extra bracing did you use for the 425hp motor??? strut tower braces i assume...anything else??? the guy redoing my chasi is going to reinforce the frame rails underneath.

I have L28 that puts that and more down to the wheels with stock suspension and brakes and it easily handles it. I'm looking at a v8 swap with considerably more power and I don't think it'll be a problem with a 2+2.

from what i am reading all over this forum..the 2+2 is a sturdier although to some, undesirable car. I do not have the tools to fabricate or weld at my house right now..need $4k to wire up my shop..have a little power out there now.(110v). I am getting ideas from everywhere for this car..my initial 4-5 yr project just might take a decade.When I do this I really want to do this right. So basicly use the kits available online for engine and tranny mount for ford or chevy set up? Will get chasis repaired and then start looking for donor car..really think i am going to keep the FI system.

thanks for the imput