HybridZ

L24 S13 Swap

MacDrizzle

I am swapping an L24 into my 240SX. I have heard many things about S13s and L series engines and have seen a few L28 in 240sx's. I need to know will the L series bellhousing bolt to my existing KA 5spd?. I have heard of people swapping in an RB crossmember and using Z car mounts. Is this legit? What tranny crossmember mods need to be done to use the existing shifter location?

I see that the firewall may have to be massaged for clearance. I am not concerned about any fabrication that may have to be done. I am skilled in that area.

I am planning to bore the 24 block to use 28 flatop pistons. The rotating assembly will be forged except for the crank. I will have a decent street/strip style cam. Will an L28 head bolt to a 24, if so I will use the L28 head that I have. I'm going to build a 4 barrell intake manifold with short runners. Will a 390cfm carb suffice or can I get away with a 500cfm unit?

As for the header i was thinking about buying a 240z header and modifying it to work with my chassis, other wise i will hand build one with equal length primaries.

I would appreciate feedback from experienced builders, and or people who can direct me to someone who has done this swap.

Please be respectfull, i wont be talked out of this. Im doing this for fun and I don't really care how much power I make.

Thanks

Mac

Most of your questions can be answered by using the search feature. But, off the top of my head...

L series (six cylinder) heads are all swappable. E88, E31, P90, P90a...if it's for a L24/L26/L28, you can put it on any of them.

390 is probably more than enough for a little L24.

the KA 5spd will not bolt to the L (AFAIK). If you want a five speed, you should start looking for a L specific one (they're pretty cheap though, so it won't be hard).

as for overboring an L24, why not just use an L28 in the first place? or if you're really set on using the stroke of a L24, just swap a L24 crank into a L28 block.

As for the questions re S13s...probably going to be better off asking on a different forum. People here are generally going the other way with engines.

The KA transmission is a direct line descendant of the L6 transmission. Same holds true for each cars' respective automatic transmissions. Incidentally, the auto box is also the same box as the 4EAT gearbox that Subaru has used in almost all of its cars for the last 20 years.

The KA fivespeed can be adapted onto the L28 by taking the bellhousing of the L-series gearbox and machining it for a larger input shaft bearing, and then installing that bellhousing onto your KA gearbox. I may be overly abbreviating the process, but in essence, it is that simple. Nosing around should turn up many threads regarding this conversion; I suggest you go to the drivetrain subforum, I think it is a sticky there.