HybridZ

i think my tachometer is off?

Ok I have a 260z with l24 and 5 speed. Om the freeway going 65 im hitting 4500 rpm in 5th. is that normal. it just seams kind of hi for me. oh yeah it might be tire size on my car. It has 225/50 r15 in the rear. is it normal or is it my tire size? or is it the gearing that is causing it?

First off, what does the car sound like? Is it loud and sounding like your killing a deer? I'm assuming your doing 65 for a little while, 4500 rpm is quite alot for constant driving if you don't have a race built motor, stock engines just aren't made for that. If it doesn't sound like 4500 rpm, then its probably not. Tire size causes speedo issues but I don't think it would cause a tach issue that I am not sure of. Could be gearing but then again, you would hear it as well.

oh sorry i should have clarified more. this is an autometer monster tach. It has had the wires clipped for it to read a 6 cylinder and has its signal wire coming from the neg post on my blaster coil.

ok found some more info on my tach . now im thinking i have the tach set wrong. can someone tell me if i have it set up right.

8 CYL. (4 Pulse) — NO adjustment is necessary.

6 CYL. (3 Pulse) — Clip BROWN wire loop only. Insulate with electrical tape.

4 CYL. (2 Pulse) — Clip BLUE wire loop only. Insulate with electrical tape.

4 CYL. (1 Pulse) — Clip BROWN and BLUE wire loops. Insulate with electrical tape.

so I have the brown wire cut. is that correct? I have a 240z with electronic distributor in it.

ok so i double checked with a buddy what my rpm was at at idle and his gauge read 700 so i checked my wires and my brown wire was cut and reading 1500rpm. so i messed with the wires and only way i could get 700 was hooking all wires up. but now it revs real slow and wont rev past 3k.