HybridZ

L2X to KA transmission?

MacDrizzle

Can anyone point me to a thread, talking about KA transmissions bolting to L series engines?

Will a L flywheel bolt to my existing Fidanza 6puck clutch and flywheel?

I have had other members say that I need to bore my L bellhousing to fit the KA imput shaft.

What is the transmission code for the KA?

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/544011/544011#msg-544011

Specifically this post by TonyD

He didn't dremel the bearing bore, the CASE is what was dremmelled for clearance of the gears and other things interfereing.

The bearing (countershaft) centers are the same. The only difference is the diameter of the bearing. The reason the SX tranny holds more HP is because it used a bigger bearing set, and slightly better gears.

All you need do it swap the smaller bearing onto the shaft if you want it to fit in the earlier bellhousing.

The internal clearanceing is something many overlook, but like Ken says, is not a big deal to remeby with simple tools...

Bearings from a bearing house will look different in many cases. In man cases industrial bearings are made to tightere tolerances, and have higher speed load ratings, so they look similar---bt different. But the outer diameters, inner diameters of mounting hole and shaft fit, as well as thickness are all standardized per bearing size. So every 6203 bearing will dimensionally be indetical and fit. How they hold the load is something totally different. A C3 tolerance bearing will run quieter and hold more load than a typical C1 automotive grade bearing. It also costs more. Automakers are not normally in the habit of putting the best bearings in their products. They are in the habit of using the cheapest thing they can get away with. Especially with Torrington Bearings. I can pick out industrial Torringtons and show you where they have TWICE and in some cases THREE TIMES the nmbers of needle rollers than an OEM bearing (like in an auto tranny) More bearings means lowere loading per bearing. Lower loading means two things---either it will handle a higher load than the one with less bearing elements, or will last FAR longer under similar load conditions.

The conversion can be done in a driveway, there is not a real need to have it machined, UNLESS you want the FULL load carrying capability of the SX Trannny. Using the smaller 280Z bearing limits the load carrying capability of the countershaft assembly to what a normal 280 tranny would handle. That is the only problem with using that approach to that conversion.

As for the shift rod being slightly misaligned, it's not a critical part to have perfect. If he was careful, the drill would have piloted in the original hole ,and sunk straight down and not make one bit of difference. If it was done in a drill press, I ould doubt anyone would have anny problem with it EVER. Sure, you could use a boring bar and center off the shift rod hole, then bore a precision hole for a line to line fit, but it's not really a critical part. The shift rod is not a big deal.