HybridZ

megashifter problems

z ya

I am still having problems getting my megashifter

to work the way it is suppose too. If I want first

gear then it wont engage park. Then if I get it to

work in park it wont be in first when I rachet down! I have the 700r4 and the pin is removed that

it says to do. My dad is having the same problems

with his pro stick and 700r4 combo. Its like the

cable is just a hair to short or something?????

Guest zfan

I have a mechanic friend who had the same problem with his v8 Z. He helped me fix mine as well. We have 700r4's with b/m hammer shifters.

He is suppose to come by this afternoon, when he does I'll ask him the specifics and post what he tells me.

Mike

This can be very frustrating and I hope I am not telling you something you do not already know or have tried.

1st thing to do is make sure you are using the correct lever on the trans. This is critical as the various levers are designed for specific trans. It is not uncommon to use the wrong lever from the several that comes in the package. Next, and probably the problem, is the cable adjustment. This requires patience. Make sure the cable is in the correct hole on the lever. You need to disconnect the cable from the lever on the trans, put the trans in P, put the shifter in P, then adjust the cable so it slips onto the lever. Next, disconnect the cable again, put the trans in 1st, put the shifter in 1st and try to slip the cable on. If it does slip on, you need to adjust it such that it will fit both P and 1, even if it does not slip on perfectly. It helps here to also make minor adjustments to the cable body where it is connected to the bracket that is connected to the pan. It also helps to have a helper moving the shifter while you are under the car making the adjustments.

The problem is not the shifter UNLESS you have the wrong detent on it. Like the lever on the trans, each trans uses a different detent.

HTH

• 4 months later...

I am having a problem with my MegaShifter also. It will go through all the gears, but its VERY hard to shift. Especially out of park. Feels like the shift lever on the trans is too short and isnt giving enough leverage. To get it out of park i have to pull the damn shifter so hard that when it finally moves it ends up in Drive! The cable is not kinked and the it slips right into both park and 1st, so i THINK i have it adjusted correctly. Is is the lever? If so where can I get the right one? If I dont get this think shifting alot smoother im gonna have a big Popeye right arm! bonk.gif

Jason

first of all if you have the THICK shifter cable- junk it...it`s a piece of s**t...they stretch,bind and break...buy the skinny replacement cable they last what seem like forever and streches very little under extreme use!!!

what i do (i haven`t really read the other post so if im repeating ..sorry) is put the shifter and trany in "N" and adjust so the pin is free floating...go to park check for free float if it moves but isn`t free float make small adjustments...same for 1st gear..now you should be ok....just like setting up an old muncie small adjustments...mark

I run a B&M Hammer shifter on my 700R4, and recently the shift cable simply broke. Don't know the reason. Called Summit and got the heavy-duty B&M replacement cable, rated 1000# capacity ("stock" B&M cable that came with shifter is 600#). Also got it 4 ft. long ("stock" cable is 5 ft. long).

Shifter works much better now. Just sharing my experience.

--JohnG