HybridZ

240SX throttle shaft conversion

2eighTZ4me

Dadgumit - I'm just going to go ahead and take the beating up front. I've been searching for over an hour for an article I ran across that explained in detail - with pictures - how to modify the 240SX throttle body to be compatible with the S30 linkage. I recall you had to take the springs off, trim the shaft, and rethread the shaft or something like that. Anyone recall what I'm talking about? I'll still keep looking....

For what it's worth, I had ALOT of slop in my stock linkage and converted to cable linkage with the whole KA24 TB flipped upside-down, which was quite easy and makes throttle response very, um... responsive. :)

Have you thought about going that route? I have pictures if you want to see them.

Good luck!

Love to see the pics. My dilemma is that I have a Lonewolf intake that has no provisions for mounting a cable, so I'm going to have to fab something up that bolts to one of the TB bolts at the manifold. Would love to see how yours is rigged up. Was looking at the TB last night and thinking how I could utilize a cable pull setup, so this is right on target!

Hmm. So, I'm a little confused. Are you trying to use the Lonewolf or a stock intake with stock linkages?

And, from your other thread:

I pulled the TPS off my 240SX TB - the half moon bar that drives the TPS appears no different from the one on a regular L series TB. I already have a larger TB with a TPS on the L series now. I'm sure there's a reason why I can't just take the TPS off the 240SX TB (which has the 3 wire pigtail needed to interface with MS) and put it on my existing 60mm TB??

What 60mm TB do you have now? The 240sx KA24 TB should be 60mm.

Anyways, here is my setup. A couple of things to know, first:

A: Porting the manifold is a must, I didn't do it at first and tip-in throttle was VERY choppy. I ported it out to match the TB and it is much better now.

B: I never set up a bracket for the cable to go in, I have it directly connected to the 'snap bar' that attaches to the pedal. This is probably what you would view as the 'wrong' way to do things. The only thing that resists your foot opening the plate is the tension on the TB spring, so it is pretty sensitive. I've considered looking into getting a stronger spring so it's not so choppy.

Anyways, just take one of those 'snap bars' [there are several in the stock linkage] and cut off one of the ball joints. I heated the cut end up with a torch and bent it over with a pair of Needlenose pliers, making a nice little loop.

100_2455.jpg

I went to AutoZone and got a cable kit which was nice because it already had a detachable piece on both ends, which makes it easy when you need to take the manifold off, but you can use basically any cable and fab up something to fasten it to the pedal bar.

100_2470.jpg

I'm so glad to be rid of that stuuupid EFI harness :)

100_2449.jpg

I also got some nice shiney Hex head bolts because I'm not a fan of allen-key bolts.

I've been running this for two years now, and we also did it to Chris' car, with no problems. The only thing you have to get used to is the throttle response, unless you figure a better way to get tension against the gas pedal. Hope this is what you were looking for, good luck!

Yes - I'm (going to be) using the Lonewolf intake, which has no accommodations for a cable. I have the 240SX TB. I also have a 60mm Weber TB for the L series. I guess I'm resolved (now that I take a closer look at it) to use a cable setup, as there's no mounts for the belcrank shaft on the LW intake. I can fab up an aluminum tab that bolts to the top inside bolt of the TB to hold the cable.

I see you mounted your TB upside down. According to the article in Gray's Garage, the Top Cooled TB like I have should have the linkage on the inside of the plenum, and the TPS on the outside. I have the same Spectre cable that you got from AutoZone as well. My TB also has a second mount on the shaft for the cruise control cable. Thinking I will just remove that altogether. I guess whether right side up, or upside down, the TB is letting in air, and the TPS is still sensing where the throttle is, so it really shouldn't make a hill of beans' worth of difference.

Thanks for the pics - that gets me started!

Yes - I'm (going to be) using the Lonewolf intake, which has no accommodations for a cable. I have the 240SX TB. I also have a 60mm Weber TB for the L series. I guess I'm resolved (now that I take a closer look at it) to use a cable setup, as there's no mounts for the belcrank shaft on the LW intake. I can fab up an aluminum tab that bolts to the top inside bolt of the TB to hold the cable.

I see you mounted your TB upside down. According to the article in Gray's Garage, the Top Cooled TB like I have should have the linkage on the inside of the plenum, and the TPS on the outside. I have the same Spectre cable that you got from AutoZone as well. My TB also has a second mount on the shaft for the cruise control cable. Thinking I will just remove that altogether. I guess whether right side up, or upside down, the TB is letting in air, and the TPS is still sensing where the throttle is, so it really shouldn't make a hill of beans' worth of difference.

Thanks for the pics - that gets me started!

Yep! I'm running MSnSE1 V3.57, no problems here :)

I also had the cruise control mechanism but I took it off as I would never have need for it.

If I ever get around to finding a thicker spring I'll be sure to let you know how to modify it so tip-in isn't so dang sensitive.

Yeah, as you can tell I'm getting all the pieces parts together for the MS install. Trying to get the mechanical stuff out of the way first, so it will be more "bolt up" friendly when the time comes to take down the daily driver for the conversion. The MS looks rather intimidating - I chickened out and bought a pre-built unit. In theory, it looks fairly simple to hook up, but in looking at the wiring diagram with all the relays and sensors, it may be more difficult than I expect. I'll keep researching and reading though. This site is great!

How long did it take you to get everything hooked up and running? Threadjacking my own post here - but WTH...

Looks like you still have a fairly stock setup - stock injectors, stock manifold etc?

Look at my sig :mrgreen: That picture was when my car had an N42/N47 and was N/A.

If you click 'terbeaux' in my sig it'll take you to my build thread, I won't bore you with the details of my setup here :) [NA>T FMIC, MSnSE]

some recent pics:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/TERBEAUX/DSC03028.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/TERBEAUX/DSC03025.jpg

But, I am using that KA24 TB and 75 Shaved manifold with my turbo swap. That picture was from awhile ago when I just got it put on and the 75 mani shaved.

My MegaSquirt install was a debacle, I bought a used MegaSquirt unit from a member here [This was before the 40 post requirement >_<] and it was a complete cluster 'mess.' Ended up replacing the ECU AND the Relay Board after their shoddy soldering skills left my car stranded more than once. I had an issue with EMI noise from the MSI [common issue] that was fixed with a recommendation from a HBZ member.

Otherwise, I love MS. The guys at DIYAT answer promptly and are very helpful and knowledgeable about the stuff.

If you ever get on AIM, I am flatblack280, we can chat up the details if you'd like.