HybridZ

Stock 240Z rear speaker

madlarkin

Hey Folks,

Trying to help out a local buddy of mine who is rehabbing a mostly original '69 240Z. He has the original driver side rear speaker with the bracket but the speaker cone not surprisingly is disintegrating.

I am looking to either recone or replace the speaker in question. IIRC Datsun used an oddball size(4 3/4"), does anybody know if this carried on in to any later vehicles? If I can get a confirmation on the sizing I may be able to track down a replacement cone from another source. The rear speaker out of the 280ZX looks close, anyone have first hand experience with them?

I did some searching on the forum but most speaker threads seem to focus around improvement and not replacing/repairing the OEM equipment :)

Thanks!

The speaker can possibly be rebuilt as stock. I work in the audio industry and I am aware of several manufacturers of vintage parts to recone classic speakers in everything from jukeboxes to Voice of the Theater systems.

The small Jap metric cone could be a problem, but I am willing to bet I could get it together so it works and appears stock. It is even possible to remove the ceramic ring magnet, replate all metal parts and then replace the ring and remagnitize the completely replated assembly prior to reconing. We are talking about a few hundred dollars for the full boat repairs and restoration.

The speaker can possibly be rebuilt as stock. I work in the audio industry and I am aware of several manufacturers of vintage parts to recone classic speakers in everything from jukeboxes to Voice of the Theater systems.

The small Jap metric cone could be a problem, but I am willing to bet I could get it together so it works and appears stock. It is even possible to remove the ceramic ring magnet, replate all metal parts and then replace the ring and remagnitize the completely replated assembly prior to reconing. We are talking about a few hundred dollars for the full boat repairs and restoration.

Thread hijack, sorry. Bjhines, who can recone VOT 15 inch bass speakers?

g