HybridZ

Ka24 head?

Mauisnow13

I was looking through the stickies again, searching for some info that I thought was in one. I came across the datsun heads flow chart in the head sticky. It listed the Ka24 head.

So, is the Ka24 a bolt on to the L series or what? I'm a little confused. Was the ka24 on there just for comparison? I searched and found info on the ka24 pistons, but nothing on the head.

Can someone clarify?

you can also fit the KA head on an L20B block, OZDat site has an L20B fitted with a KA20DE head and a turbo for 186 KW at the wheels. http://www.ozdat.com/membersites/zac510/

Otherwise theres the KA24DE head on an L20B block with a Z24 crank + L16 rods and Z22 pistons for a twin cam stroker. http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67238829.html 2.3L

you can also fit the KA head on an L20B block, OZDat site has an L20B fitted with a KA20DE head and a turbo for 186 KW at the wheels. http://www.ozdat.com/membersites/zac510/

Otherwise theres the KA24DE head on an L20B block with a Z24 crank + L16 rods and Z22 pistons for a twin cam stroker. http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67238829.html 2.3L

@_@ I have those saved in my favorites. Valuable information considering the L4 and L6 blocks just about the same.

My true feelings to this thread is ohhhhhhh god not again! :shock:

Yah, I made a mistake tho, just did it from memory, they are using KA24E heads not DE, for some reason I can't edit my post to correct it...

The KA-E head accepts an L series timing gear as a bolt on, the DE would need some work and a new longer chain.

If you're still in school or you have sources for like welding (although 1 fast z says welding won't work) and machine work, its really tempting to try the project. Now that I have some cash I may attempt myself, obviously that's some BIG talk though. If I took on the project, I wouldn't spend my time trying to figure out all the stresses and stuff. I think I would just go around and get the opinions of the wise. Ask my machinist and others, ask some people at school who may have some information, that sort of thing. Don't ask 1 fast z, he won't help you. He's accomplished his project and now that its all said and done its like business secrets, which is annoying but I don't blame him at all.

If anyone else, I think I've seen 3 so far, attempts to take on the project he is probably your most valuable critic and sometimes its hard to keep it from pissing you off but I mean, the truth sucks sometimes. Having someone piss on your parade isn't exactly what you want in the middle of a project but some of the info will keep your project from dive bombing.

I for one, don't take critique lightly so I always get fussy when ♥♥♥♥ like that happens. I'm a strong believer in there are multiple ways to do certain things and I think the whole twin cam head is one of those applications. If I were to do the project, I'd weld. 1 fast z would probably so you're doing it wrong, I'd probably start an argument getting myself or both of us in trouble, then I'd continue on with the project. If it fails then yes, he will say I told you so and even if he doesn't, you know in the back of your head he's laughing with victory. Haha. Won't know until you try, he has his evidence and there are certainly other places that show otherwise on some stuff. (welding was only an example)

Those are my opinions towards the subject. If you are interested in starting on your own the best advice I can say is save every picture of a twin cam conversion NOW. I searched around and 1 fast z posted several threads about his project, some he said the timing chain stuff was private information as with the calculations, some he posted pictures of a mock up, and others the posts are so old that the pictures aren't showing up anymore, or my computer is being stupid. So, before anymore pictures expire, save them. The threads with text will still be in hybridz, just get the pictures.

I presume the KA24 head flowcharted there is a KA24DE? or is it a KA24E? the E head has 3 valves, 2 inlet and one exhaust, according to the pictures in the first link I posted. So even the SOHC KA24E head should flow better than a 2 Valve per cylinder L series head. http://www.ozdat.com/membersites/zac510/ka24head_1.jpg How much weight does the L-4 save over the L-6? 2 cylinders worth of cylinder wall, block, crank length, and other misc stuff should make a real difference. Weight saved is equal to power gained after all. An 186.5Kw L-4 turbo car would likely move better than an 186.5Kw L-6 turbo with an exact match dynograph curve due to the weight savings.