HybridZ

What a change in spark advance makes

SidWell

Last week I started messin around with the spark advance curve. I found that for a couple of degrees of advance, I had to add more fuel. I think I have got more spark advance left in the motor but this is where I am now. I was suprised at how much more fuel I am flowing now at wide open throddle above 4K RPM. I even had to add a string at 97.5 KPa to keep the AFR from getting too lumpy. The WBO2 sensor usually hangs around 13:1 for just about all values above 80 KPa. I guess that means I am making horsepower. :burnout:

LastWeekSparkTable_thumb.JPG

LastWeekVETable_thumb.JPG

TodaySparkAdvanceTable_thumb.JPG

TodayVETable_thumb.JPG

LastWeekVEMap_thumb.JPG

TodayVEMap_thumb.JPG

LastWeekSparkMap_thumb.JPG

TodaySparkMap_thumb.JPG

LogFileAtWOT_thumb.JPG

can you quickly describe your setup?

I'm mostly interested in the following:

Induction (looks like ITBs)

Static compression

head (P90? n42) (ported... etc?)

pistons (flat or dished)

piston diameter

Fuel grade?

I'm currently at 27 degrees max advance on 93 octane with my 10.3:1 n42 flat-tops setup. Curious to see what you are running to get up to 38 degrees advance.

Everything below the cylinder head is stock and well used. The head is ported and polished. The cam is a bit more agressive than stock. 6:1 equal length exhaust header dumping into a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. The intake is a custom built ITB setup. The injectors are 280 ZX Turbo 280 cc.

For me, it was all about getting the car to breath. With the stock manifold, no matter what you do to it, it just does not breath. The runners going from the air log to the cylinder head are just to narrow to move much air. The intake and exhaust ports really benefit from getting cleaned up. As I see it; if you can't move air into and out of the cylinder head, raising compression and displacement will not do you that much good.