HybridZ

fuel tank ohms?

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

anyone know which way teh ohms work in a z? is 0 ohms empty, and if so, how many are full? or does it work the other way? i'm wanting to buy an aftermarket fuel gauge. thanks.

Thanks for the plug, Mike.

BTW, Mike has the same gage in his Z and we compared notes on how it works out.

The Ford-type fuel gage with the Datsun sender can give you correct Empty and Full measurements, especially if you use my calibration technique. The problem is that a true 3/4 tank of fuel registers somewhere around 1/4 on the gage, and the last 1/4 to Empty range on the gage goes VERY SLOWLY.

Any electronics wizards out there want to design us a circuit to go between the Ford-type gage and the Datsun sender, that will make the gage read better?

I'd think that some op amps, etc. could be used to build a non-linear scaling circuit. I'm an ME, not an EE, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

Hey, Lone!

Take the sender out and grind a new indexing mark in the side of it 180 degrees from the original one. Now it fits in the tank upside down, and your gauge should read normally.

Well, actually if it's like mine it'll go up to 1/2 tank when full, but empty is still empty. I've got to load up Pete's Excel file to get the right resistors onboard to fix that little quirk.

Originally posted by Carlissimo:

A full tank on mine reads 3/4 full. Empty is around 1/8th or right on the "F" of "FUEL".

I too would be interested in a fix.

go to Pete's page, and download his Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. You plug in the resistance of your sender at full and empty, and the resistance that the gauge expects to see, and it spits out the resistor values needed to calibrate your gauge.

If you don't have Excel, e-mail me the ohm value of the sender at full and empty, and I'll run it through the computer for you.

• 2 weeks later...

GAZRNR, that would probably be a bit of a fangle.

Just an FYI, my spreadsheet uses functions that are in the "Analysis Toolpak". That isn't loaded with a standard install of Excel, so you'll have to add it. I think the easiest way is to go to "Tools", "Add-ins...", and select the "Analysis ToolPak". MSOffice will then ask you to put the Office CD in the machine to load the toolpak.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'm in the process of doing all this now..

was wondering if there'd be any further differences in the OHMS on a 1975 260z compared to the 240z? or if they all use the same sender, etc?

top effort putting all that together for people to read/use on the net! awesome job :D