HybridZ

MSD Tach Adapter advice

bigbore468

Have been using a stock tachometer from a 1976 280Z with an MSD 6, points type trgger along with a first generation MSD Tach Adapter, which worked fine for the past 10 years or so....

Recently I think the stock tach has gone bad as there was that smell of fried transistors coming from the dash one morning, and the tach has not worked since. The signal indicators and lighting still works fine.

Purchased a new MDS tach adapter P/N 8910, but see that their wiring has changed a lot vs. the model I have.

Also have a new old stock tach on the way. My plan is to keep the stock guages as well as the stock look of the interior...

The MSD 8910 has only two wires; one hooks up to a B+ ignition source, and the other (wihte) wire gets inserted into the white wire from the MSD and to the distributor trigger.

My question is where does the stock tach signal wire hook up to.

I think it gets hooked in series into the white wires noted above, but would like any advice from those that have used this set up.

Have read a bunch of the old posts that suggest going to an aftermarket 5" tach, which I may do if this attempt does not work out.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Did you figure it out?

Yeah finally figured it out this past weekend. The stock tach was not damaged at all...

It came down to being a bad MSD Tach Adapter that has been in the car for at least 10 years or so. It's their original model that has a bunch of wires to hook up.

I took the thing apart and the circuit board was fried.

The new model MSD Tach Adapter P/N 8910 works fine with the stock tach.

For any planning to go this route, the signal wire that goes to the tach attaches to WHITE wire of the MSD tach adapter.

I also used a 10K ohm resister in the signal wire as per the JTR book.

Thanks for the replies.