HybridZ

need help with fuel system, I think

manchador

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum. I would like to see if i can get help diagnozing my car troubles. It is a 1982 280zx turbo. I parked it back in 2000 because the rear end was making a clunky noise. In 2007 i sold it to a friend who had that fixed but never drove it or even registered it and i bought it back from him in 2008. The car was garaged from 2000 to 2007 then when i got it back it stayed outside for about a year. whenever i started it, it would run very rough and if i tried to move it, it would stall and die. After a while i noticed that if i kept spraying starting fluid through the intake, it would run normal, so i figured that at least one injector was bad. I found some injecors from a 300zx turbo and they are on the car right now. The car will only start if i squirt gasoline into the intake and will die once it burns that up. I pulled the injectors from the intake manifold but left them connected to the plugs, then i squirted gas in the intake and started the car. From this, i saw that the injectors are supplying gas because they were all squirting. Once again the car died when the gas in the intake was burned off. I had also replaced the connectors with the GM style injector connectors and dont know if i got the wires backwards. I went off a post i found doing a search. Any help with this is very appreciated. Thanks

Guest Rolling Parts

Download the FSM or read the "EFI Bible". Both are 100,000x better than just guessing and throwing parts at the problem and hoping that it eventually goes away...

Can I trust you've at least measured fuel pressure to the rail by inserting a gauge just downstream of the fuel filter?

Guest Rolling Parts
I have not checked the fuel pressure...Could low pressure cause this?

That's a basic check on the health of the fuel system, one of many.

Actually a dozen things individually (or together) can do this.

S130Z suggested just a few based on the sketchy details you gave on the history that relate to fuel delivery.

A good way to solve it is to start with good gas in a good tank and work forward (pump, lines, filter, pressure/regulator, injectors, return line). It's tedious as heck BUT that's the way you track down where it is.

Year old gas is something I would not run in my car(but thats just me). Gas goes stail, looses its octane and is bad for the performance of your car. I would drain and refill with new gas. And if you plan on leaving it sit for the winter or more than a month, put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and run it for a minute or two.

Guest Rolling Parts
.. does modern day gas go stale within a year?

It's worse than that. Many modern gasoline is cut with 10% alcohol. Any leak at all in the vent system and alcohol attracts water and water promotes rust. Stabilizers only help keep it from going stale, they don't address the water/rust problems in modern gas.

Always best to add a stabilizer AND keep the tank topped off to keep out water vapor. If the car in this thread sat for 7+years then job #1 would be dropping the tank BEFORE trying to start it....