HybridZ

question about gauges..

Guest ON3GO

I was looking at some Autometer gauges that i want to buy.

Thing is what should i get? mechanical or electrical...

This goes for New Speedo, Tach, A/F raito gauge, Fuel level gauge, and im trying to thing of another gauge to get.

i already have Blitz BL Boost, PSI, and Temp gauges.

also how much of a size differnece is 2 1/16 and 2 5/8?

thanks

mike

Originally posted by ON3GO:

Thing is what should i get? mechanical or electrical...

Electrical can use your stock wiring, and are fairly easy to calibrate. Mechanical are usually more accurate, but some have the potential to squirt funny things behind the dashboard if the connecting tube breaks. Personally, I went with electrical because for what I'm doing they're accurate enough, and they're easy.

This goes for New Speedo, Tach, A/F raito gauge, Fuel level gauge

A/F ratio gauges are all electric, and the only mechanical fuel gauge I know of is a wooden stick. You probably already know that to have a manual tachometer, you'll need a special distributor to drive it.

, and im trying to thing of another gauge to get. I already have Blitz BL Boost, PSI, and Temp gauges.

How about a voltmeter? Ammeter? If you're running boost, I think one of the most valuable gauges you can have is a pyrometer so you can tell when you're about to toast your pistons.

also how much of a size differnece is 2 1/16 and 2 5/8?

I have it on good authority that the difference between 2 1/16" and 2 5/8" is precisely 9/16".

If you're asking whether you can fit a 2 1/16 diameter gauge into a 2 5/8" hole, the answer is no, unless you want it to look cobbled together.

Have fun, and be sure to show us what you get when you decide!

well i ment the difference in the sizes as in im putting these auto meter gauges in my dash, i will be taking out the a/c heater controls and everything out of the center dash part, and will be putting my DVD/tv, radio unit, turbo timer, and my 2 or 3 guages in it, im putting my Blitz BL gauges in the stock 3 pod area.

I just dont want to get 2 1/16 gauges and they look too small on the dash. plus the A/F raito gauges only comes in 2 1/16 in the Carbon fiber gauges.

I am using my Blitz BL Pressure gauge for the oil, and i mite get a water pressure gauge from autometer.

thanks

mike

I know what size gauges i can put in the 3 pod on the dash, i already am gonna put my blitz BL gauges there, but im taking out all the "crap" in the center dash panel and putting a custom one ill make, with my Turbo timer, TV/DVD, radio unit, and whatever gauges, so im just wondering if the 2 5/8s would be too big or just right or the 2 1/16s too small or just right.

not sure

mike

ok here is what i got:

5 inch mechanical speedo (botlts right up to "speedo drive gear") so no mods on that one.

5 inch electrical tach (never heard of mechanical before)

2 5/8 they bolt right up in stock housing and if you go to james thagard (guy with twin turbo 240z) he shows step by step instrructions how to put them in)

oil pressure 0-100psi

water temp

boost gauge (but you already have that one)

instead auto meter boost gauge you can get fuel pressue (you are gonna need that one for sure)

and stay away from a/f ratio cause they are pure junk (auto meter one)

for egt i would definitelly go with either apex or greedy guages with peak hold and playback function (you can set them up to worn you when you get to preset temp and they alow you 30 sec. playback) but be prepare to pay about $200 or so for new one. one more gauge to look at is new greedy air/fuel gauge but that one goes for almost $300+ few of my friends have them and they are very very accurate.

If you are 48 years old and above I'd suggest the 2 5/8" gauges. If you are younger you can still see well enough to read the 2 1/16". :D

Also the more gauges the better. Who needs to watch the road when you have awsome gauges to look at ;) .

Seriously if you are turbo you need an A/F gauge. I also like my oil temp. gauge so I know if I'm running to hot in the summer to coke my turbo by shutting down the engine to soon. In Oklahoma I would never remove any air conditioning :D I gotta be COOL when I drive my Z! 2thumbs.gif