HybridZ

Targa top reinforcement

datsun280zx

So ive been thinking about doing a targa top on my 260z project car. i put a post before asking if it could be done and was told yes but it will take reinforcement. i was looking at chevy240z's post about his chop top and was wondering if some thing like this could be done to reinforce it. thanks for any help.

6450450015_medium.jpg

This is what im going for

http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=787207&postcount=38

I would require the same type of reinforcement as on a convertible like I did. It would also require a single piece of tube stock down the center of the top and around the opening. There is no way to get the same rigidity as on the standard Z without lots of cross bracing.

I've thought about this idea as well. Like SHO-Z was saying, the unibody re-enforcement would follow the same path as a convertible: rocker re-enforcements and diagonal braces from the rockers to the tops of the rear wheelhouses.

Rather that trying to make the removable top section structural though, I would follow Porsche's route as on their 911 Targa and make a fabric top. The car is going to twist some no mater how well you re-enforce it. A hard top is going to bang up the corners unless you bolt it in (maybe even then). Wrenching it on and off is impractical.

Another route. like hunterzed was saying, is T-tops from an S-130 donor car. Though it's not a true targa it's close and you will have a hard time finding another S30 like it. Also it has the advantage of using an already engineered design. The S130 roof is very close in dimension to the S30. Rory Bateman used an S130 T-top roof as the basis for his S30 Tomahawk top.

Either way, like cockerstar said, this is a 17 project.

I'm not trying to threadjack here, but since like February I've been wondering how you would go about putting a 280zx roof with t-tops on an s30 and be able to close the door without shattering the window and still having a water tight seal. My dad just bought a 2000 Camaro z28 with t-tops, and I still have no idea how they are water-tight.

• 3 weeks later...
Vinh, I know it never rains in Philly, but hey, the poor guys lives in Arizona. If he listens to you he'll never be able to drive his car.:wink:

Dan,

Well I didn't finish. The easiest and first task is to cut off the top first. The second and hardest part is cutting the top of another car with the targa and weld it back on right? I was just checking to see he will get thru the first step.

One question is, if you cut the targa roof off a 280zx would you graft it on so you use your original window frames or would you also graft on the 'B' Pillars to add strength but lose the pillarless look of the original Z. If you fit a roll cage and tie in the strut towers you should be able to graft the roof on above the drip rails and maybe add some frame rails to the roof just inside the drip rails so you can have the strength in the roof as well as have the pillarless window line of the early Z's. It would also be easier to match up the difference in the roof lines as well. Especially if you take it all the way back to the hatch rather than just cut it in line with the 'B' pillar. Having driven both slick and targa roof I'd have to say that the targa is a whole lotta fun on a nice dry day but unless the seals are reasonably fresh it is a wet pain in the butt when its raining. The next thing to think about, is how to tie in the windscreen and window surrounds with the targa tops. Ie. The crome moulding. I thought about shaving the drip rails on my 280zx but it would be a hassle to tie in the moulding strips to match.

VinhZXT thoughts about the convertable just made me think of a miata. Build the Z car as a convertable (for strength, windshield and door window planning, but not the trunk lid mod) Then build a top that looks like our cars roofline, but as a "Bubble top" removable hard top like the older miatas. The "hard top" could be a two piece to give that targa look, or leave it as a one piece removable hardtop.. Everybody wins!

Not sure I explained that all that well, but just think of the removable hard top option that older miatas had.