HybridZ

New project starting...

vega

What exactly are you putting this in? I only ask since I am working on something very similar!

My project is a 472 in an 86 300ZX. I am still in the test fit/fabrication stage but so far everything looks like it will fit. The block does not have an oil pan yet as this was the initial test fit. The plan is to run a Muncie M21 behind the caddy with the biggest question being the rear end and what to do about it.

testblock2001.jpg

testblock2005.jpg

testblock2007.jpg

btw don't run an m21 it will tear it apart. call the cad company the only couple trans that they rec. that are from the factory are the turbo400 and the t56 you also need to be able to hold to 500 foot pounds at 1800 rpm so as far as the diff goes at least a 12 bolt you want to keep irs than switch to a 8.8 diff. the only diff that possible will hold to it that is a nissan is the r230 I've been doing extensive research on the subject. the r200 you have in there now is not all that strong in comparison. I have yet to see a blown r230, but it will be a ridiculous amount of work to get that in the z31. may as well swap rear sub frames at that point. that is why I am going to use a built 8.8 ford t bird diff. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get the t bird axles to work with the hubs etc in my 78.

more pics coming soon guys.

I too have been been running caddy motor swaps in a few G bodies for a while now. This being my first manual trans attempt. I feel that the lack of weight in this car will help me run the muncie trans. The only T56 capable is a TKO600 which is big money and I am not trying to be cheap on this build...just frugal. Worst case I will just stuff a TH400 behind it. This car is not being built for drag racing, rather more for driving/road racing. It will be used as a testing device of sorts. There is a racer in puerto rico that runs an R230 rear swap with some nice custom axles that are holding up very well which my be the direction I head. I have to get the motor in first.

Good luck on your project! I am excited to see your progress.

You should start your own build thread so that we can follow it as i have here.

The tko600 is another one I did not mention it even because of the price. Plus only being a 5spd vs the t56 (viper and zr1 trans etc) I had a m22 sitting around and I asked everywhere and I was still told that even the rock crusher would be a bad idea to throw money at. Plus I did the math and found that the auto would be cheaper and stronger in the long run. My car is not JUST for drag either if it was I would tub it and put in a strang 9" ford. I want the IRS because the car is going to be setup like the old street circuit cars that ran through st paul and Minneapolis back in the day (legal street circuit). Though it will be just a street car I want it to have that kind of performance. My Si is more for the track higher rpms and all (right now 8200rpm limit- will be 9500 with a b20z next year - and turbo)- the next car I am planning after this is a 95 m3 large single turbo and a m90 t bird blower combo for track racing as well. I am doing a lot of research on that now. It should be fun.