HybridZ

Vacumn Lines Help!

Nismo280zEd

Ok... so i thought i had it figured out till winter hit. i have a 78 280z. the carbon canister thing is gone, the A/C is gone.. well the compresor and condenser anyways, and the Egr valve isn't hooked up to my headers i have no heat and it is getting colder every day. does anybody have a diagramn? the stock manuals don't have any "clear" drawings of where exaclty they are supposed to be. this would help me alot.

Ed

Guest Anonymous

you need to check the vaccume lines going to the solinoids mounted on the black bracket near the shock tower on the passenger side there are a couple of solinoids and "t"s under there,also check the rubber boots on the vaccume resavoir. it's that water bottle looking thing.make sure to hook the supply hose to manifold vaccume.

alright from that diagramn i got defrost air blowing.. not sure if it's hot yet.. warming car as i type. but i only have one of those vacumn' from the manifold i have the one by the EGR valve the other one controls the fuel pressure and the other is the distributor advance.

anyideas?

Ed

If you are hard pressed for heat you can do the following: you will need a hand held Vacuum Pump; you can find these at any auto parts store & Sears for $15-$35.

On the pictures that Tomohawk offered, you will see the Vacuum Diaghram that controls air going thru the Heater Core chamber: this picture is the next to the last one. You should also study the picture/diagram Jerimio offered on that same thread that Tomohawk references.

Anyway, first turn your Hot/Cold lever on your Heater/AC control panel to Heat.

Now, disconnect the underdash Vacuum Line at the before mentioned Vacuum Diaghram and once you have a hand held Vacuum Pump you can connect it via a vacuum line of the appropriate size to that Vacuum Diaphram: the one that is on the Driver's side of the Heater/AC Assembly. Then w/a few pumps of the hand held pump you should hear the Vacuum Diaghram open the Heater Core chamber-voila...instant hot air. 2thumbs.gif

As far as directing that hot air up/middle/down-you may have to play around w/the other two Vacuum Diaghrams...see Jerimio's Post on the Thread that Tomohawk gave for clearification.

If you are hard pressed for immediate hot air-just leave the hand held Vacuum Pump in the car on the passenger seat while driving...it's certainly beats freezing.

Of course all this only applies if the Vacuum Diaghram is operational once Vacuum has been applied and whether your Heater Core is not stopped up. If the Diaghram is cracked or the Heater Core is stopped up-then all bets are off and you will have to approach your repairs differently. :(

If the Vacuum Diaghram is inoperable then you will have to fabricate a mechanical switch for operating that door.

If you want your system to function properly you will need to find a Vacuum Canister from a salvage yard car as it functions w/the magnet switches & your Heater/AC control panel. Look for a salvage yard car that appears to be complete-then w/pen & paper draw a diagram of where the lines are attached-kind've confusing at the magnet switches on the passenger side inner fender well w/out a factory service manual.

You really need a factory service manual-your pictures would be in that manual; haynes, chilton and motors always manages to leave out those vacuum diagrams whereas the Factory Service Manuals will always include them.

Lastly-one thing to keep in mind; sometimes-no matter what you do w/the HVAC controls your system will still not function properly. Many times that Manifold that distributes the Vacuum (the lever on your control panel that switches the vacuum to different modes) will develop a crack in it; this causes your HVAC system to not funtion properly...and no NISSAN is not re'mfg them: if this is the case then you will require the temporary use of a salvage yard car for parts.

Good luck-hope this helped or at least gave you some ideas.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Thanks for the help ful tips. I got it all figured out. I have the vacumn next to the EGR valve going to the forward most solenoid on the passenger side. the other one controls the deacceleration. I have that disabled. right now... the vacumn line from the manifold goes intos the switch right below the solenoid then i have a loop that comes out goes into the solenoid, then comes out of the solenoid and into the firewall. Hot air comes out fine from defrost and the floor.

BTW i have the factory manual... it neglects to show a complete vacumn line diagramn like the one tomahawk referenced me two. I also have a Haynes.

Thanx guys.. i feel relieved to have finally figured out what those solenoids do. 2thumbs.gif

cheers cheers.gif

If you really need a vacuum diagram, you might be able to get one from a radiator shop. The computerized ones have access to all that info. Maybe they would sell you a printout.

The disgram in the other topic was correct for my car.

BYW, Do you get heat from the dash vents? I was told you can't, but don't see a reason why you couldn't.

The vacumn line is fine now i adapted it for my situation. NO i dont' get heat throught the center vents yet... but i'm gonnna change that. Seeing as i don't have A/C at the moment i'm just gonna hook up the heater output hoses to the vents w/ a T conection from PVC. I'll write a post on it if i ever get the time off from work.

Ed

Originally posted by Nismo280zEd:

.., BTW i have the factory manual... it neglects to show a complete vacumn line diagramn..,

FWIW: My 1978 Factory "Datsun 280Z Service Manual" has the full Vacuum & HVAC Diagram of both the Vacuum lines and their attaching Components.

You can find those diagrams in the AC chapter on page AC-36, AC-37, and AC-38.

Should answer all the questions that could pop up about your HVAC system. BTW: my factory manual has a P/N 20066...not sure what manual you have that doesnt include the HVAC Components & their Vacuum lines(?) :confused:

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

• 3 years later...