HybridZ

Simple Things

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, my name is wes davis, i am 13, i am wondering about some simple things that i can do just for fun. I do not have a car but of coarse my parents have some. I was wondering what things i can do for practice. burnout.gif

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I'll tell you what I did as a 13yr old, lots of model cars and planes, magazines, I knew what every car ran there cost and dreamed of owning each. I also hooked my bike up, I had a bunch of bikes from a GT to Redline and my favorite PK Ripper. I took them apart and back together just for fun and now I do the same with the cars. Stay in school avoid the clapp (ask your folks).

AC

Remember the PK QuadAngle??? My Cousin Was sponsored for a while By PK so I got a few of his hand-me-down frames and I had two rippers and a Quad. I broke the Quad bunnyhopping a fire hydrant... BAD MOVE... Made a permanent DENT in one of my shins...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Hey, thanx guys, but i already kno wthe standard horsepower to like a ton of cars and everything, i also already know how a regular combustion engine works (DONT TRUST MY SPELLING), its like i have a photographic memory for just cars, and engines and stuff. But is there something like an old car part that i could take apart and put back together. Remember i mean cheap like 50 Bucks. Maby like a transmition or clutch or something nothin heavy. burnout.gifredface.gifHe He

I had an aluminum bike but then I cracked the frame trail riding, I have a dk general lee now nice bike, if only I used it...... anyways well when I was that age(maybe 3 years ago) I did oil changes and other stuff to maintain my parents cars (they love it or at least mine did). it at least gets you aquainted with the tools.

Guest Anonymous

But i dont think i can do stuff to my parents cars. Like i said, i would like to spend about 50 bucks on a piece of **** transmition or old something mechanical. puke.gifhail.gifhail.gifrockon.gif

Get your parents to take you to a scrap yard and pick up a junk motor/tranny to tear apart. Explain to the guy at the yard what your doing and you should be able to pick one up for next to nothing. I know I only got about $15 for an old motor/tranny and acouple suspension parts. Good luck with the place to pull these things apart.

13 years old is the perfect age for dirtbiking. Without a doubt I would say buy a used dirtbike and ride the heck out of it. They are the most fun you can have per dollar. You will learn a ton just trying to keep the engine running, the forks from leaking, and wheels and brakes on the thing. I learned at an accelerated pace because I also had to keep all my non-mechanically inclined buddies bikes running. Some things never change, I still have to do this. A lot of what you will learn will translate over to cars.

Danny

TOMAHAWK he said he didn't have a lot of money so girls R out!!! HAHAHA!! I like the dirtbike idea, they need maint. all the time and are alot simpler than cars and you don't need a licence but you need alot of practice. Start small and work up as it will cost less. GOOD LUCK DOOD!!! Glad to meet ya. burnout.gifburnout.gif

Guest Night_rider_383

Get on your bike and ride around your town, talk to your friend's dad's, look in the papers, go to the junkyards around you. Thre's about 4 yards with in 12 miles of my house lol.

Ask your friend's mama's and dad's along with all of your teachers if they have an old junk car or know somebody with one that they want to get out of thier yard...

look to spend 50-100 bucks on a full car, $50-75 on having it towed home. X-mas is coming up soon so save your money. If your true about cars you may start out with a junk just to tear apart and learn, but by time you get 15 or 16 that junk you buy now may be almost done or done, made into a running hot rod.

Right now folks need money for X-mas so they will part with non running cars cheaper. I know where an 85 camaro is for $50, plus tow fee. The car has a knocking 2.8 L v-6 engine, no trans, 3.42 10 bolt rear, no seats, no carpet, good body, cracked whindshild.. Cars in that shape now is cheap.

If your folks will let you have a car now to work on in the yard, then that would teach you alot more about cars in gen.

Guest Anonymous

hello wes, welcome to hybridz.org. what exactly are you looking to do?? one things for sure, i dont recommend taking your parents cars out for practice!

i say go to www.howstuffworks.com and read up on some basics, if your trying to work on cars that is. have fun.

franklinz

An old Carburetor would be EXCELLENT for you to tear appart and put back together with a rebuild kit... Look for an old Holley... Ehll maybe someone on here has one you could get for the cost of shipping or something... Just buy the rebuild kit for it and you are in business...

Mike :D

Look to friends, relatives, etc. When I was about 13 I bought a '71 Datsun pickup that had not been used in years for the grand sum of $1. I planned to restore/hot rod it. I got it completely disassembled but did not get it back together. I sold it 4 years later as a pile of parts for $60.

Find you a pile of junk car and start rebuilding it. You can work on it in the afternoons and all summer until you are 16, then you will have you a good car that you know inside and out. You may also be able to talk you parents into giving you the money they would have spent on your car now or in payments until your car is rebuilt.