HybridZ

heater blower swap-which motor?

I've read a dozen posts about putting in the 91 civic fan into my Z. None of them mention whether they use the one from an ac donor or non ac donor. There is a $60 price difference, but is there any physical (mounting) differences or specific one I should use?

One guy also mentions using one from a 92, but parts guy says they are different. He wasn't able to specify why.

Thanks!

I don't know if there is a difference between the AC and Non-AC blower motors but the one I got for my Z came from a 90 - 91 CRX if I remember correctly with AC.

Perhaps the fan is smaller or mounts different as the Non-AC car should have a different shaped case where the fan would mount to as there wouldn't be an evaporator in the case, just a heater core.

what year z do you have ? and are you asking if the honda needs to be a/c or not ? if so ,,, yes get the blower from the honda w/ an a/c.

good luck.

but fyi .. ive done that upgrade and have since moved to the maxima blower for my 77 w/ ac and heat. works GREAT.. do a search for big phil's post on this particular swap.

Actually working on three Z's at the same time. One is a 72 240, one is a bone stock 77 280, the other a 77 280 undergoing the et swap from 83 zx turbo. I have an issue of some sort with the heater control valve in the stock 77 and have most of the heater pieces out and thought now would be the time to put in a better fan. From the existing posts, I can't tell if people are using the ac fan or non ac fan from the civic. I don't have one to look at side by side or I could figure it out.

Thanks for the tip on the maxima fan, my 77 soon to be driving turbo is factory AC, which currently has a 4 sp fan. I have not used the fan as of yet. Is it a better fan than the 3 speed fan from the non ac cars or just more control settings?

The fan motor is rated in wattage. The fan switch is simply adding resistors in various combinations to reduce fan speed. The issues that can arise come from the fact that a higher wattage fan can lead to overheating of the resistors.

The resistor pack in my 240Z is fairly hefty and they are air cooled in the blower airstream. I used a 90's model Honda blower in mine with no problems. I never ran into any choices between NON-AC and AC models. I live in a warm climate and all cars have AC originally installed. I simply asked the JY for the prescribed fan and they cross referenced from another model and year for the same fan. The JY counter man could not say what it actually came out of.. It fits and works though.

I've read a dozen posts about putting in the 91 civic fan into my Z. None of them mention whether they use the one from an ac donor or non ac donor. There is a $60 price difference, but is there any physical (mounting) differences or specific one I should use?

One guy also mentions using one from a 92, but parts guy says they are different. He wasn't able to specify why.

Thanks!

There shouldn't be a difference between the A/C version and the non A/C one. In '88 to '91 Civics and CRXs, the A/C is a seperate self contained unit that mounts next to the fan assembly.

Also, the one for the '92 will be different since its from a different generation Civic.