HybridZ

cruise control in early Z

niceguy678us

I came into possession of a 81 280ZX cruise control system, it is complete with switches, wiring, solenoids etc. I tried the search in multiple rooms to no avail. I would enjoy this comfort in my early Z and was wondering if anyone had tried this before or heard of it done, tips would be appreciated. I know I can't be the only one who has attempted this, just gotta find the info. Happy new year to everyone, be safe. rockon.gif

Yes it is a 77. Trying to whittle the cruise control stuff out of the wiring harness cuss.gif ! I spent alomst half a day stripping the ENTIRE wiring harness out of that damned 81 ZX turbo so I would have everything I would need. I posted in the turbo forum looking for someone with a factory manual for that year trying to get a copy of the fold out harness map. Would make things a little easier on me.thanks for any info!! rockon.gif

Don't forget to get the clutch cut-out switch for the cruise control from the ZX! Otherwise (with the cruise on) the throttle will not close during gear shifts and you will over rev the engine.

This is the worst part of the swap. The clutch switch takes an 8mm diameter hole and the existing hole in the Z car is 6mm. You have to drill it out and re-tap. Not easy with the pedal bracket still in the car.

Of course, if you happen to have an automatic transmission, then this is not a concern!

Guest Anonymous

Did you really have to strip the harness out ? are there any other aftermarket cruise systems ? i guess they would be $$$ i have an 83ZXT i guess i will try and do the same.