HybridZ

78 EFI Relay

Nismo280zEd

If your 78z is stock then you will find three fuel injection relays under the fuel injection relay bracket cover.

This cover is located in the engine compartment on the inner fender well/at the passenger side strut housing.

The three relays are under that bracket. The three relays are:

1) EFI Main Relay

2) Fuel Pump Relay

3) Fuel Pump Control Relay

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I'm not aware of any EFI relay that is under the instrument cluster just above the left knee(?). For the California Z's there will be an Altitude Sensor-but no EFI relay...that I am aware of or that the factory service manual mentions.

My "1978 Datsun Z" factory service manual lists the three relays I posted and has them mounted in the location stated in my first post.

Are you sure you are referrencing the EFI Relay? If so then you will find it on the Relay Bracket in the engine compartment under the Relay Bracket Cover between the Passenger Strut Mount & Battery on the inner fender panel.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Originally posted by 280Zone:

Actually, on a 78 I think it is inside the cabin just above your left knee when you are seated in the car. The replacement color may be different than stock.

No, on a '78, all the EFI relays are under the cover on the right fender, by the fusible links.

My late '77 had the FI relay mounted way up inside the dash near the steering column. It was hard to even see and a real beatch to remove.

Possibly some '78s had it in this location?

I'll try to scan a picture out of my FSM later.

(I'm screwing off at work now)

Negative captain. It does NOT match up w/ any relays in that black box on the passenger fender. but they might have possibly sent me the wrong year? i'll try to post a pick of it. if you want to know y i bought it go here... http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001102

thas the lastest thread i have posted under Datsun L6 performance forum.

relay.gif

This picture is looking up from the floor.

In my '77, you have to lay on your back and look straight up at the steering column area behind the dash. The screws holding the relay in are f***'in hard to get to.

This relay is a dual section one that also controls the fuel pump. Note the two plugs.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...